HybridZ

Car stuck in parking garage, need advice

I've had my '78 280z for about 3 weeks now. So far it's been driving fine - I've been driving it to work every day (60 mile roundtrip) with no problems. This morning I got to a stop sign right by the parking garage, put it in first gear and let off the gas (kind of abruptly) to let the engine compression slow me down, and it started bucking/jerking a lot, and the tachometer was just moving erratically. So I put it in neutral and coasted up to the card reader, but the tach was still behaving the same. I put it in first, jerked down the ramp and finally got it in second and it started driving fine. Drove all the way around the level, put it in neutral (tach was fine now) and parked. Shut it off and then thought..."maybe I should make sure it still starts."

Nope.

Not even the headlights will come on now. WTH is going on here? I checked the battery, cables are all fine. Sparkplug wires are all fine, coil wire seems fine. I kept thinking something came loose while it was bucking. I should at least have battery power though right? Is the alternator fried, or maybe lost the wire? I didn't check that. Only tools I have are one wrench and a couple screwdrivers. Any advice would be appreciated.

Since I got it I've changed the oil/filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and put in a stereo a couple days ago. I've probably been through 3 tanks of gas so far. On the second day I had it, the car was parked on a very slight incline in my driveway and would start and then die after a few seconds. So I rolled it to a level surface and it started right up - this is what prompted me to change the fuel filter. In fact, after I put the new filter on, I instantly blew a hole in the old rubber line, I'm assuming because the pressure was so much greater with the new filter and the old hose was 11 years old. I have a new hose on there now and it's been driving fine for over a week. Just letting you know in case this has any bearing on what is going on right now.

( video of the car here if you're interested:

)

-Tim

I also have an issue that doesn't seem to be normal that may "possibly" be related. When I put the clutch in, the tach will jump up to 2k RPM until I slow down to about 5MPH, then it will drop down to 1k RPM. It seems to be based on the physical speed of the car, because if I'm at the top of a hill, and I put it in neutral, the tach will remain at 1k until I reach 5mph, then it will jump up to 2k without me touching the accelerator at all. Is that maybe the AFM sensor being too loose? BCDD valve? I have no idea, but it's another tach related issue.

Thanks guys - all good advice. I hope I didn't waste anyone's time with this post. As usual though it looks like it's my fault. I re-checked the battery cables and the battery wire was loose in the aftermarket terminal I used. So I just need to find an allen wrench and tighten it back up. I think it was jerked out by the bucking action. So that question still remains - what would cause the bucking/erratic tach I experienced?

Fusible links look good though.

Thanks guys - all good advice. I hope I didn't waste anyone's time with this post. As usual though it looks like it's my fault. I re-checked the battery cables and the battery wire was loose in the aftermarket terminal I used. So I just need to find an allen wrench and tighten it back up. I think it was jerked out by the bucking action. So that question still remains - what would cause the bucking/erratic tach I experienced?

Fusible links look good though.

That faulty connection may have caused the bucking which caused that connection to fail fully.

I had the exact same damn problem, my alternator went out when I shifted down due to the power jumping all at once and the stress on the ancient alternator was to much, it bucked jerked and then It would be fine in upper gears, but would have little to no power, then i pulled over and then tried to start it and got nothing out of it. absolutely nothing. charged the battery up at some old bikers house who had hells angels vests hanging every where, and then hobbled the 2 miles home. plopped in a new cap/rotor and alternator and vroom back to normal, tach was back to normal to.

I had the same problem...its the fusible links. Its not letting your battery get the charge and your car is running off the battery and once the power is gone, well, its gone. I went through 3 batteries before figuring this out. Your car will jerk and it will act as if it is missing or not getting enough fuel, but in reality is because your battery is shot and doesnt have enough power to run the car properly. For a temporary fix, replace the fusible link wires and probably replace your battery. For a more permanent fix, do the maxifuse fuseblock upgrade to replace the fusible links and either charge or replace the battery. I havent had a problem since I upgraded and my car actually runs smoother than when I bought it.