HybridZ

LS! Coil pack testing?

Ive searched around and haven't found a real answer to "How to test a weak Ls1 coil".

I believe I could have a couple of weak coil packs installed that are allowing the spark to blow out at peak hp and torque.

Does anyone know of a way to take a reading that will let me know if they are weak? I have a volt/ohm meter, but no fancy oscilloscopes or anything like that.

Ive tested them by grounding out a spark plug and looking at the color of the spark while cranking. The couple in question seem to have a yellow spark, and the others seem more white blue in color.

Here is the exact coil My link

The easiest way to test the spark is to leave it installed to the car, and use a cheap spark tester (two contacts with an adjustable gap).

The gap should be set to 2 cm/0.8". The spark tester is directly wired to the coils output and ground. If you don't have a spark tester, you can build your own with some wires, and two screws or nails taped to a plastic ruler. Take care not to get zapped!

Now, when running the starter, you should get a healthy, clearly visible yellow/orange spark. If the spark is quite thin and blue, and/or barely visible, your coil might be bad, dwell or the available current voltage is to low.

post-9530-12714965603677_thumb.jpg