HybridZ

Car assembly, paint first or last?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've always had the thought that painting last and then doing final re-assembly was a better go mainly because the chance of chipping your paint would be less likely. What are your guys feelings on it? I suppose I can see both schools of thought. Discussion? icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Lone,

My feelings have always been...build up completely, then disassemble, paint, reassemble. I've done it both ways with various other buildups and found that no matter how much planning is done, I always end up having to drill or weld something in as an afterthought. That kinda messes up the new paint or sound deadening, or something. It's a lot more work, and for we patience challenged, a lot more time, but the results will show the extra effort. IMO, FWIW.

icon_biggrin.gif

Tim

Guest KraZ4spd

I painted my engine bay. Now I'm going ahead with all the engine, drivetrane & suspension. I'll order most of my pieces and fit them right before the paint shop. The last thing I'm doing is the interior. icon_cool.gif

I had the underside, interior, and engine bay painted, and the body work done first (well, done to the FIRST shop's standards).

Then I installed the stuff on the underside, the engine, trans, all the wiring, hoses, got it driveable (without windows). Then I had the bodywork touched up and the car painted.

Well, that was a good plan (nice working on the engine bay and not leaning over the freshly painted fenders!), but alas, the bearings were pooched in short order and it all came out (putting the engine together now).

Van, you could have even helped me figure out who to pay how much, let alone do the work. The amount of money I paid for bodywork and paint is incredibly shameful. malebitchslap.gifbonk.gifmalebitchslap.gifbonk.gifmalebitchslap.gifbonk.gifmalebitchslap.gifbonk.gif

You could have made some nice coin AND saved me a ton too!

Lone, you're lucky to have Van to talk to about this - he's done alot of this and knows what he's talking about!

Guest Anonymous

Don't I know it, he's the man I'll be contacting when I'm ready. This was sort of a discussion builder topic, but I am interested in the how others have done or are doing the process. When I do mine (provided I'm not in a rest home by then bonk.gif ) I'll put all these good thoughts to use.

Yeah, I wish we were all closer too, I'm meeting in person and have had phone chats with (thanks to hybridZ) quite a few people just in my area, let alone on the left coast and am pleased to report, you wouldn't want to meet a nicer bunch of guys than I'm meeting in person out here, and I hope to see you mid and right coasters next year in MSA, by hook or crook I plan to be there.

Regards,

Lone