HybridZ

Old rubber brake line wont come off

Hey guy,

I'm trying to upgrade my old OEM rubber brake lines to SS brake lines. The problem is that the old rubber brake line just wont unscrew off the hard metal tube that comes form the master cylinder. I really don't want to damage the hard line or the little S- shaped hard line that are connected together using the rubber tube. I am scared that if i apply any more force i'll end up rounding out the little 10mm nut at on the hard line side.

What would be the best solution to get the little piece of flex runner tube out without damaging the hard lines.

From experience, you want to go to Sears and invest in a flare nut wrench. It's the only easy way to keep from rounding off the nut. I suggest also using some WD-40 and let it soak a bit first, to try to break up some of the rust and buildup. Then, using an open ended wrench on the rubber line side to hold it and the flare nut wrench on the other, slowly ease the nut out.

For reference, here's the wrench I'm talking about:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00978979000P?keyword=flare+nut+wrench

Just don't get the wrong size on accident :D

Well I sprayed the nuts with liquid wrench last night and then soaked a small rag with liquid wrench and wrapped it around the junction of the hard line and the rubber line.

I’ll go to the store today and buy the flare nut wrench you have recommended and see if that helps.

thanx

Thanx for all the help guys. I went to Wal-mart and bought a $15 propane torch and used it to heat the coupling. Once the metal was red hot; i use the flare nut wrench on the hard line side and a regular wrench on the rubber hose side and managed to get the threads to unbind.

Once again thanx for all the helpful tips.