HybridZ

Do I have to remove ALL of the original paint before a new paint job?!

So I've been sanding my car down with a dual action sander, wire brush, grinding disc and soda blasting and I'm having a difficult time getting the paint down to the bare metal.

If I use a 80 grit sand paper and sand down through the original clear coat and partially between the paint and primer in certain spots, is it necessary to strip the paint ALL the way down to the metal or primer for a re-spray?!?!

There are areas on the underbelly where I was able to get the factory undercoating off, but not the yellow-ish primer. This is the same on the interior of the car as well... I'm worried the primer and paint won't stick unless I take it all off.

Am I being overly cautious or is it ok to paint over a very well sanded original paint/primer??!

Be careful about using chemical strippers. They will have to be completely neutralized before you can apply primer/paint to the body surface. If you need some good reading, go to www.hotrodders.com and read their 'exterior' forum 610 page section. :-)

I was just talking to a bodywork/paint friend of mine recently about painting my Z. He said that if the original paint is in "good" condition (i.e. no cracking, peeling, not easy to remove) then there should be no need to completely strip the paint. As said above, scuff it up so the new stuff adheres to it and you're good to go.