HybridZ

New Car! new member kinda!?! Break master?

First of all im new to posting on here i have found this forum to be a great place for information on these wonderful cars.

and i have finally found one for myself i am a owner of a 1971 240z pics down below. B)

i have however a question.. the brake masters on these cars . i have a s30 made in 10/1970.

but i noticed the difference in price of the 70 and 72 brake master to be huge.

one is like $180-220 and the later one is like $80 ish. pic of master on car is below

post-4398-12724327867597_thumb.jpg

post-4398-12724328236505_thumb.jpg

post-4398-12724329451139_thumb.jpg

post-4398-1272432969152_thumb.jpg

post-4398-12724330304982_thumb.jpg

Grasshopper, you must break master to become master.

If you want a brake master though, you should be aware that there are at least two different early Z masters, and the difference is the hookup to the brake pedal and the bolt size there if I recall correctly.

Wow, looks in pretty good condition!

About the brake master cylinders, if you're looking to upgrade, get the 15/16 BMC from a 79-81 280ZX. Straight bolt on and bigger than what you've got now.

Also check your brake booster for your reaction disk to see if its loosened itself from the plunger or not. Give it a quick search if you're not sure what I'm talking about.

There is no reason to go to a bigger master with stock brakes. Stock brake masters work fine and the pedal effort is high enough already with the early master due to the smaller booster. Going to the bigger master gives the pedal a harder feel and lowers pressure to the calipers and slave cylinders for the same pedal pressure.

but what is the real difference because the one for the early z is 200 and the later z is like 70-80 ish can i somehow use the later one?

I'm guessing so don't quote me but I would think that the early Z brake master is more expensive because the early z is more rare then the later so they have to raise the price to compensate for the lack of people buying them since there are less early Z's. There may also be a physical difference but I don't know for sure I'm sure someone else can chime in on that.