HybridZ

Clean Intake

jcub280

I have been working on cleaning up my 82 zxt intake and first thought I would keep everything the way it was and just get a theme going.

Intake5.jpg

After I got it all cleaned up it looked like this

Intakehalfdone.jpg

Intakehalfdone1.jpg

After I bolted it on I was not 100% happy so it was back to the search function.

After reading several posts and looking at Gollum's Pic of his intake, I figured I would also go the "block off plate" route. (still needs plugged)

IntakeCleanlook.jpg

I just have one question. The copper colored outlet under the AAC that goes over to a connector then over to the air regulator, should I remove / drill / tap it or just cap it? It seems to be stuck in place. I tried removing it but did not get anywhere without using super force. Tips? (looks like Gollum capped)

UnderAAC.jpg

I do not want to file the intake down as some people did just in case I have to slap parts back on it to pass an inspection if IL should ever have one. I could use a non EGR intake but do not want to take it off my running 75 engine. I know I am not gaining anything but looks by doing this. No cold start in IL will not be a problem since my Z always sits in a heated garage and I never plan to drive it in bad weather.

Picture of deleted items.

deletedintakeitems.jpg

Edited by jcub280

• Administrators

Looks good, nice work. :2thumbs:

That gold zinc plated pipe fitting is "pressed" in place and can be quite stubborn to remove, to the point it will end up completely mutilated once removed. Sometimes that come free with some firm effort, more often than not, they get destroyed. Not a big deal if you plan to never use that port again, then just tap and plug it. Other wise, a good cap that will handle the temps and pressures of a boosted intake will suffice.

I hope you have a bov. The can between the egr and the aav is the manifold pressure relief(factory bov set to aprox 6.5 mmhg)

I have been working on cleaning up my 82 zxt intake and first thought I would keep everything the way it was and just get a theme going.

Intake5.jpg

After I got it all cleaned up it looked like this

Intakehalfdone.jpg

Intakehalfdone1.jpg

After I bolted it on I was not 100% happy so it was back to the search function.

After reading several posts and looking at Gollum's Pic of his intake, I figured I would also go the "block off plate" route. (still needs plugged)

IntakeCleanlook.jpg

I just have one question. The copper colored outlet under the AAC that goes over to a connector then over to the air regulator, should I remove / drill / tap it or just cap it? It seems to be stuck in place. I tried removing it but did not get anywhere without using super force. Tips? (looks like Gollum capped)

UnderAAC.jpg

I do not want to file the intake down as some people did just in case I have to slap parts back on it to pass an inspection if IL should ever have one. I could use a non EGR intake but do not want to take it off my running 75 engine. I know I am not gaining anything but looks by doing this. No cold start in IL will not be a problem since my Z always sits in a heated garage and I never plan to drive it in bad weather.

Picture of deleted items.

deletedintakeitems.jpg

Yes, I have a BOV off of an early 90s Eagle Talon lined up. I have not yet seen the condition of it. If the BOV is not what I want or I cannot get it to work properly I will put the pressure relief back in. I think I have read that using the stock computer will mean I have to route the BOV back into the system. I plan to go with some sort of fuel mgmt system in the future but for now I am using what I have. Thanks for the warning none the less!