HybridZ

S30 280zx disk conversion brackets?

Hey guys. I have the dimensions for the brakes that would be needed for disk conversion on the rear of a s30 z. You would use 82-83 280zx rotors and calipers. There is a local shop that does CNC work and I was considering seeing what I could get one made for to test fit and see how everything would look. Before I go about spending this kind of money. How many would be interested? No commitments or anything. Just if I had oh say 25 or 50 sets made. That would be like 50 to 100 brackets total, CNC aluminum, would I have enough interest to sell them? Not sure on price yet, I have to go over to the leaders edge and talk to the guys and see what it is going to cost me for just a test run.

Ya i think cost will be the biggest factor. Since they are currently available elsewhere, in order for it to be feasible the price would have to be low enough for the consumer to get a deal and still allow you some profit margin. I'd possibly be interested.

I understand that part of it. I am just trying to figure out if I can get them made cheaper, would people be interested. I need them made for myself. I am probably just going to foot the bill to make the for me anyhow. That being said, if I can get a large run made and make them cheaper for me and sell the others then that would be good. I am going to need to buy the calipers and rotors. I ordered the wrong rotors the ones I need cost more than twice as the rotors I ordered. As soon as I get rotors and calipers I will have a braket made, just one for a test fit first. If it works I will post up pictures and a price for the number of sets I would have to sell. Then maybe we can get a list. After I would have already made the test bracket I will have to figure it out. I am not sure I would be able to just strait foot a bill for so many brackets and then have people possibly back out on me.

EDIT: Just figured before I get flamed for this, I do understand that the people backing out is just another part of the game. How business works.

Edited by ModernS30

I would say just get a price quote, even ballpark, so that you can draw in more potential buyers.

I have to go by the machine shop first, the biggest issue will be material cost because that is a large chunk of metal. I was thinking aluminum but I am not totally sure if that would work out alright.

Aluminum material costs are higher than steel, but the time needed to machine the piece is significantly less, which has a large impact on cost. For this reason, making billet aluminum pieces is generally cheaper than billet steel ones.

Do as search, as this was done within the past 12-18 months, iirc. I remember seeing the the for sale thread over in the b/s/t if you want to get an idea on pricing.

Aluminum material costs are higher than steel, but the time needed to machine the piece is significantly less, which has a large impact on cost. For this reason, making billet aluminum pieces is generally cheaper than billet steel ones.

Do as search, as this was done within the past 12-18 months, iirc. I remember seeing the the for sale thread over in the b/s/t if you want to get an idea on pricing.

Do not take this as formal as this is from a race part dealer and not the machine shop I will be talking to (different race part shop). There is a shop here selling billet aluminum brake brackets for midgets and sprint cars. I am pretty sure they are about 15 a pop, this is for Wilwood or similar. Keep in mind, something like that may be a possibility, all that has to be done is corrections for the caliper bolt spread and making sure they are centered. I ordered a reman caliper and new rotor to get the bracket made and test fit everything today. I still need to go by the machine shop, I need to have my father with me as he knows the guys pretty good and should help with getting a lower cost. As compared to me walking in there by myself. No matter what I am going to have 2 made for my self. I just want to test fit first. Like I said, the idea is to just make these cheap quality parts for people. The disks from the zx, although a decent performance upgrade. Are really just an easy of maintenance upgrade. If I do get these made they most likely wont have emergency brake provisions. I was going to see what I could manage with the factory emergency brake bracket, similar to what Big-Phil did.