HybridZ

LIghtest Factory flywheel

Guest Flauski

Guest Flauski

Anyone have any idea what the lightest factory flywheel for a Nissan L6 is?

Someone told me its from a L20ET is this true? Any ideas of weights for comparison? Couldn't find any info on here.

Cheers :mellow:

I am thinking that the L24E Maxima motor has a 17lb flywheel, as opposed to the 24lb flywheel that was on my L24. Either that, or that maxima L24E had a lightened flywheel on it, as I pulled it from the junkyard.

Yep, I've got a Maxima (Bluebird 810/Maxima) Y70 flywheel on my Z. Most everything I can find points to them weighing 17.6 lbs.

Of course, this is the lightest factory L6 flywheel that was available in the U.S. I'm not sure what the L20 flywheels weigh, or what numbers are cast into them.

Edited by blue72

Or for about 100 bucks you can have a 24# fly wheel lightened and balanced down to 17# while removing weight from the furthest point from center. Better acceleration, better balance, more meat for the clutch to munch on, close to the same cost, better deal if you ask me. But hey if you want to run the maxima unit go ahead and let us all know how it works out!

I have to agree with the last poster, lightening any stocker you have is better than wasting time or spending extra money on some specific stock flywheel which will likely weigh more, and have less desirable MOI characteristics than any lightened stockers.

I have lightened flywheels to 17# that have better performance than lighter 'performance aluminim' flywheels weighing 2# less!

WHERE you remove the weight is FAR more important than small differences in total weight.

I'll lay money a 24# unit lightened properly to 17# (or whatever) will perform BETTER than the stock 17# unit.