HybridZ

Best way to restore tail light panel?

icapture

The right and left tail light panels on my 280z are not in a condition that i can proud of. The finish has come off some areas, and there is evidence of someone sanding it with rough paper and then giving up. What did the original finish on these look like? I cant imagine it was a glossy paint but rather a flat black or something. How would you guys recommend that restore this panel? Shoot it with primer then a few coats of flat black paint? Maybe in the future I'll pick up a new one, or a CF replica piece. But for now I want something cheap that will make it look acceptable.

Got this from zcar.com: ou can buy that paint in a spray can by SEM. Paint #39033 Metallic Charcoal.

This was from an old post so hopefully its still avaiable.

Edited by az240z

I think most of the time they were painted the same color as the car from factory but most people repainted them a different color. What I did for mine is I took them off sanded them a bit and painted the plastic part flat black and painted the chrome parts flat white, IMO it looks pretty nice.

post-4699-12728309569172_thumb.jpg

Edited by 19752802+2

I think most of the time they were painted the same color as the car from factory but most people repainted them a different color. What I did for mine is I took them off sanded them a bit and painted the plastic part flat black and painted the chrome parts flat white, IMO it looks pretty nice.

As far as I know they were never painted the same color as the car from the factory. Perhaps it was a something dealers did. All bezels on the 280z were a grey metallic/graphite color.

When I originally painted my car, I painted it the same color as the rest of the car. I painted them again a couple months ago to a nissan color called Smoke... paint code: k11

DSCN1534.jpg

Edited by 280zcar