HybridZ

P90A Hydraulic Lifter Rebuilding

After searching the forums through thread upon thread about the downsides of hydraulic lifters, I finally found what I was looking for: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/50067-p90a-head-ticking-what-to-do/page__hl__cleaning%20hydraulic%20lifters

It covered almost all I need to know, but I still have a some questions, and this thread is four years old and perhaps some new info has turned up since, so instead of bumping it, I thought I'd start a new thread with a more appropriate thread title.

Anyways, my first question is whether there is any difference between intake and exhaust valve lifters. Originally my plan was to play it safe and take apart the lifters one at a time, give it a blast of break cleaner and put it back together and install it before moving onto the next. Now I think I'll pull them, label, disassemble and let them soak in solvent in individual containers overnight before reassembling them and installing them.

More importantly, I'm buttoning up my motor (which was pulled about 3 years ago, and has since had the head resurfaced and a new head gasket installed) between finishing school last week and starting work on the 17th, in which time I have very little money to spend. I will hold off on swapping the l28et into my N/A 280zx until I have some cash on reserve for unforeseen expenses. One of the key points I took away from that thread is that it is imperative that the lifters be reassembled full of oil. Will the the oil stay sealed in the lifters for the next couple weeks of months before the engine is fired up?

Work will recommence on the motor tomorrow, and I'll be sure to take pictures and post results.

• 2 months later...

there is no difference between the intake and exhaust HLA's. yes, the oil stays in the lifters, if you reassemble them inside oil. note, i added a comment to that other thread (http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/50067-p90a-head-ticking-what-to-do/page__hl__cleaning%20hydraulic%20lifters__st__40) since only the smaller piston (with the ball check valve) and its spring have to be put in while submerged in oil, the top piston and the hat can be put in dry.