HybridZ

v8 swap tranny options??????

i'm currently in the process of a complete resto/mod of my 78 280z. I have finished all the underbody/ suspension work. my next decision is the engine. i have a 83 f54 engine complete, and a 71 lt-1 carb'd sbc v8 motor that runs. i believe was removed from a old corvette. i would really like to install the v8 motor due to simplicity of less electrical components versus ls1 engines etc. i plan on purchasing the jtr conversion book and start to order necessary parts however my ques is what manual tranny's from other gm cars will fit a old 70's lt1 sbc v8 motor, i particularly want a 5 speed tranny. i plan on keeping my r200 diff.

One trans the JTR book doesn't list is the TKO600 to fit GM motors. Mine works very nice

You are right. Isn't that transmission essentially an upgraded version of the original T5 shape, but with guts rated at around 600hp?

Geez there is a lot of noise on this post! No real decent information that couldn't be found wit out using the search function!

If you're using a 2 piece rear main seal block 71 block then a t-56 trans is

not a bolt on part, you'll need an adaptor plate. Check out Wier (google it). As far as the t-5 trans it will bolt up but I would not put more than

300hp through it with out upgrading to gforce gears or astro gears.

Now go do some searching

yea, i like to get around 280hp out of my engine, so i really wana find a nice t5 tranny, and i will be using the stock r200 rear end and the suspension is already done poly bushings and tokico strut and lowering springs

a 71 CSB will have a two piece rear main seal. I believe it was 86 that they swapped. You can use a T56 on any chevy small block as long as you get the 92-97 LT1 trans and bell housing, no adapter needed. The one piece/2 piece deal differs in the crank, (I beleve block) and flywheel, not in the bellhousing mounting position. I am using a 70's LT1 Vette bell housing with my 96 LT1 and 87 T5. Runs strong, though without any sound insulation I can hear the 11" clutch start to feather and hear the trans spin up. I would recommend going with a 10" clutch for better ground clearance.

Edited by Geking

I have a T56 in my Z right now with a Gen I SBC, but in hindsight, I would run a T5. The T5 is cheaper and easier to come by, you won't need any 'special' parts, and if you break it, there is still a bunch more available and of course, upgradeable options too. The other aspect with the T56 is that it is so long legged. I really can't use 6th gear unless I'm above 75mph ish. Of course that is with the 3.55 R200 in the rear, so I am currently in the hunt for a 3.90 or there about. I am also using the Wier bellhousing.

Good luck

Ryan~

I also have a Weir-adapted T56 in my '72, after having gone through three T-5's, one bought with bad synchros and two munched. One failed on the freeway, locking up the drivetrain (very, very exciting). My V8 is putting out (I'm sure) less than 400 hp, and in general I was a careful shifter, but they blew nonetheless. The T56 is just generally a stronger transmission, and with fuel injection will allow very relaxed and efficient cruising at highway speeds. Also, the hydraulic throw-out bearings are much nicer and easier to bleed than the conventional type slave cylinder. Given my experience, I'd suggesting going with the T56 from the start.

Strotter, did you use the hyd. throwout supplied in the Weir kit? Mine was a PITA to bleed, and after that some of the air came out just in driving. I noticed some of the other hyd. throwouts available have a bleed screw on them, which I think would have made the job a lot easier.

Ryan~

Yes, I used the supplied bearing. I don't know what kind of bearing setup they're sourcing currently, but the one they sent me had two long tubes coming out, one for the hydraulic feed, the other for a "remote" bleed screw. I just attached a clear tube to the bleed screw, loosened the screw so it flowed just a bit, submerged the other end of the tube in the fluid in the reservoir, and started a'pumpin' the clutch. Took about 90 seconds until I had clear fluid flowing smoothly 'round and 'round. I'm afraid I tossed the box, don't know what bearing it is.

dsommer - I installed the t56 to my sbc 280zx back before the Weir kit was available. Centerforce has a flywheel made just for this swap (though it was a bit pricey at the time at $400ish, and a heavy little booger at 36#, IIRC). AFAIK, that was the only way to do it at the time. (without tons of $$$ in custom machining) But other than the flywheel, I was able to run any T56 pull-type clutch with the factory t56 bellhousing. For the hydraulics, just a good ol' tilton 7/8" master with a generic t5 slave, with the factory roll-pin fitting clipped off, tapped, and threaded for the hydraulic line.

As for the original poster, I don't blame you for not searching the forums, because there's no way in hell you'd find what you're looking for. Out of the 10 or so years this site has been up, we've learned to generally try and avoid discussions of v8 drivetrain swaps in our little babies. This community feels that they were born a Datsun, and should keep the heart of one. I'm the exception though, which isn't surprising...I'm used to being the black sheep. So, I'll cut to the crap and give you what you're looking for. Now, it's not as common of a tranny swap as say a T5 or T56, but it's also not one to be dismissed either. I'm not sure if you've heard of the T2180, but I'm surprised no one else has jumped all over this. It features a generous gear ratio which will be sure to utilize all 280 of your horsies, from screaming stand-still burnout torque in first gear to the perfect cruising gear on the highway. Its durability stands out among the rest. Trust me, if you're ever ready to take the plunge and install a performance CAI/Exhaust, it'll be able to hold up to your new 560hp of blazing fury. Now, the transmission may require a little more massaging of the transmission tunnel than the others, and it may help if you source a bellhousing and maybe some other misc. pieces for the conversion, but it's more than worth it. Hands down, it's a set-it and forget-it transmission. Enough talk already:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MACK-TRANSMISSION-18-SPEED-T2180-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem413a735279QQitemZ280153510521QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Do it. Take the plunge and see if you can show all the other purists on here what a man's drivetrain looks like.

Oh, and sweetride2go - I think the 3.9 goes perfectly with the t56. At highway cruising speeds I'm around 2000-2200rpms. Can't recall what the mph was, seeing as how it's been in the bodyshop for 3 friggin years, but I'll assume that it's 70-75ish.

Edited by zeeboost

As for the original poster, I don't blame you for not searching the forums, because there's no way in hell you'd find what you're looking for. Out of the 10 or so years this site has been up, we've learned to generally try and avoid discussions of v8 drivetrain swaps in our little babies. This community feels that they were born a Datsun, and should keep the heart of one. I'm the exception though, which isn't surprising...I'm used to being the black sheep. So, I'll cut to the crap and give you what you're looking for. Now, it's not as common of a tranny swap as say a T5 or T56, but it's also not one to be dismissed either. I'm not sure if you've heard of the T2180, but I'm surprised no one else has jumped all over this. It features a generous gear ratio which will be sure to utilize all 280 of your horsies, from screaming stand-still burnout torque in first gear to the perfect cruising gear on the highway. Its durability stands out among the rest. Trust me, if you're ever ready to take the plunge and install a performance CAI/Exhaust, it'll be able to hold up to your new 560hp of blazing fury. Now, the transmission may require a little more massaging of the transmission tunnel than the others, and it may help if you source a bellhousing and maybe some other misc. pieces for the conversion, but it's more than worth it. Hands down, it's a set-it and forget-it transmission. Enough talk already:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MACK-TRANSMISSION-18-SPEED-T2180-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem413a735279QQitemZ280153510521QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Do it. Take the plunge and see if you can show all the other purists on here what a man's drivetrain looks like.

Wow, I actually just wasted like 4 minutes of my life with this pointless post.

Put an LT1 T56 and flywheel in the *****, and don't look back! They can be had for like $6-800. If you're squealing about money, you are in the wrong hobby my friend.