HybridZ

Hey guys,

I pulled some strut housings from one of my parts cars to cut up for Dan's coilover adapters and noticed some wear on the bottom of the spindles. I tried to catch it in a picture, but it wasn't cooperating very well. It is a significantly shinier portion of the spindle on the bottom side in several places. I measured it, and it only varies by 2 thousandsths in diameter between the widest diameter of the spindle, and the worn skinniest portion (1.690" vs. 1.692"), so I don't think that it is worn excessively out of round. However, I am concerned that this wear will accelerate and cause problems down the road for me, but I'm not sure. I did a search, but everything containing the phrase "spindle" seemed to relate to the tale of the wicked spindle pins.

So, am I just being paranoid and this is a normal condition, or should I junk these and pull one of my other sets?

Thanks!

-Ryan

Here's my best attempt at a pic for reference:

DSC_0008.jpg

Hey guys,

I pulled some strut housings from one of my parts cars to cut up for Dan's coilover adapters and noticed some wear on the bottom of the spindles. I tried to catch it in a picture, but it wasn't cooperating very well. It is a significantly shinier portion of the spindle on the bottom side in several places. I measured it, and it only varies by 2 thousandsths in diameter between the widest diameter of the spindle, and the worn skinniest portion (1.690" vs. 1.692"), so I don't think that it is worn excessively out of round. However, I am concerned that this wear will accelerate and cause problems down the road for me, but I'm not sure. I did a search, but everything containing the phrase "spindle" seemed to relate to the tale of the wicked spindle pins.

The only part that should "wear" on a spindle is where the grease seal on the hub turns. Is that the area you're concerned about?

Thanks for the tip Robert!

Never knew that loctite made suck a product. It may come in handy later, but if these are toast I think I'll probably just grab another set :)

John, the grease seal area is where I was able to measure the amount of wear (since it is completely round), but the spot I was trying to get to show up in the picture was right after where the castle nut threads on, before the spindle begins to taper out. This area is also worn in a similar manner as where the grease seal sits.

Thanks for the tip Robert!

Never knew that loctite made suck a product. It may come in handy later, but if these are toast I think I'll probably just grab another set :)

John, the grease seal area is where I was able to measure the amount of wear (since it is completely round), but the spot I was trying to get to show up in the picture was right after where the castle nut threads on, before the spindle begins to taper out. This area is also worn in a similar manner as where the grease seal sits.

A guess: Might be from the big washer behind the nut. If the nut loosens the washer might vibrate or rub against the spindle under lateral loads.