HybridZ

No radio, wipers, or blower motor?

Alright guys. my wipers, radio, and blower motor dont work at all. they are functional by hot wire, but not with stock conections. I was told some sort of relay but one relay shouldnt control all that, a fuse should? Stock 1979 280zx

Alright guys. my wipers, radio, and blower motor dont work at all. they are functional by hot wire, but not with stock conections. I was told some sort of relay but one relay shouldnt control all that, a fuse should? Stock 1979 280zx

Check your connections in the fusible link box located near the battery. Another thing to check is a broken/pinched wires under the dash as it is easy to do if you are rushing to put it all back together

I am fighting wiring in my car and the fusible link box was a mess in my car and I had no dash power as you stated. I replaced the whole box and magically I got power...

Edited by blackice280zxt

Check your connections in the fusible link box located near the battery. Another thing to check is a broken/pinched wires under the dash as it is easy to do if you are rushing to put it all back together

I am fighting wiring in my car and the fusible link box was a mess in my car and I had no dash power as you stated. I replaced the whole box and magically I got power...

Thanks man. I'll try it this weekend. It just seems to be those three items though. I'm hoping its just a fuse and not bad wiring somewhere. I'm trying to resto-mod this thing. Maybe 400 SB swap it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I know the thread is a little old, but did you figure out the problem? I just fixed my heater/blower motor electrical as well on my 76. Here is what happened:

Checked the connectors going to the unit = no power.

Checked the relay = no power.

Checked the fuse panel, fuse good, power across both clips........but..... here is the catch. When I was checking for power on the fuse panel, by touching the top of the fuse itself, obviously it shows power across both terminals, thus completing the circuit. By taking the fuse panel off of the kick panel area, turning it around, the lead wire going from the fuse panel to the actual unit had NO power. Even though the fuse was good, if I carefully prodded the multimeter probe down to the actual spring-clip fuse holder, the hot side had power (of course) but the other side actually did NOT.

Conclusion- took the fuse out, noticed a little bit of corrosion on the inside edges of the actual fuse holder/clip, lightly sanded them, popped the fuse back in, blower works.

I did the usual electrical clip cleaning as said in most of these threads, but I didn't think to clean the actual fuse panel itself. May or may not work but I just wanted to pass it along just in case.

Cheers,

JK

• 3 months later...

Challenger- will definately try that as i have yet to get it going. we had a death in the family and the z had to be back seated.

ThatGuyFromGates- Did remove the fuse panel and checked all connections when diagnosing before and all came back clear although I did clean all the terminal clips (a few had light corrosion)