HybridZ

bad altenator keeping car from starting?

so I have my 280z at the mechanics and they called this norning and said the reason my car wouldn't start was the altenator and a bad wiring harness, they want to charge me 300.48 to fix it but can the altenator really keep the car from starting? It ran fine the night before then the next moring it almost cranked up but sputtered out then wouldn't crank again just turned over really slow once or twice. The battery meter in car was showing 14ish when I went to start it dropped to 4 or so. I got it to start one with a jump but after turning it off and trying to restart without it wouldn't start. And it would never start with a jump again. Am I getting ripped off? ;(

$300 take a 12 gage down there and tell them you are going to rob them first. BAd battery no start yes. Bad battery cables no start yes. Bad alternator sure if the battery is discharged or just bad. Change the alternator like $70 retail price. Hour labor $75. Doesn't come to $300 the way I add. Find a new mechanic or do it yourself. Not a real high tech operation. pain in the butt yes. Have battery load tested and if your battery cables have those one size fit all clampon type terminals get some new battery cables. Yes they are trying to hose you.

If the alternator is of suspect you can always take it off, take it to the auto parts store and they have that testing machine to see if it puts out enough amps. Battery cables are easy to replace yourself, just a bolt or a nut holding it on. I second on the universal battery terminals, I hate those, I like the lead-free terminals that come on the cables at the store.