HybridZ

I've switched to the dark side

Well i've had my Z for 10 years, kept it mostly all "Datsun/Nissan" but i've come to the conclusion that i'm just going to go with a LS1 swap. I looked the Q45 swap also, which is very tempting (espcially since there is someone in town that does them turnkey for 3500) but then i'm still stuck with a good engine that i won't be able to play with as much as I like to, so LS1 it is. Today I bought a LS1 shortblock with 80k for 600 bucks, and bought stock coilpacks for 90, now just need all the rest of the parts and a t56, lol

Just a short block for $600? I don't want to be a nay-sayer but if you have to buy heads, gaskets, harness, PCM, sensors, starter, alternator, water pump, crank pulley, accessory brackets, intake manifold, rails, injectors, MAF, etc, etc, its going to cost a small fortune to piece it all together.

I always tell my customers to stray away from 'deals' like this because in the end its going to nickel and dime you to the point past where you could of bought a turn key motor with everything for more initial cost, but far cheaper in the end.

5.3's can be had turn key for $600 (or less) these days and make almost, if not the same power a stock LS1 does.

Regardless, welcome to the dark-side and enjoy your project.

Hope to get heads today or tomorrow, a local machine shop is fixing them up right now, they are ported 300cfm int and 230 ex at 575 lift which should help the 5.7L breath some, and will raise the compression a little. So far my expense

LS1 shortblock 800

heads 1100-1200

coilpacks (free after i get the other stuff sold with it.

Now just need everything else, haha

Anyone use these valve covers, i think they look snazzy and the price isn't to bad.

0bd2_12.JPG

Hope to get heads today or tomorrow, a local machine shop is fixing them up right now, they are ported 300cfm int and 230 ex at 575 lift which should help the 5.7L breath some, and will raise the compression a little. So far my expense

LS1 shortblock 800

heads 1100-1200

coilpacks (free after i get the other stuff sold with it.

Now just need everything else, haha

Anyone use these valve covers, i think they look snazzy and the price isn't to bad.

0bd2_12.JPG

What type of heads? 241, 243 aftermarket?

• 2 weeks later...

Don't have a bench to test it, should have asked before picking them up, but visually it looks good.

I need to find out what oil pan and T56 to start hunting for. Found some that had measurements but nothing so far on what one lines up on the 240z. JTR headers should be in next week. :) Also was trying to determine which kit to go with for mounting the engine, jci or jtr. I have a fab shop and could just do it manually but would rather just throw a few bucks at it not have to actually engineer something that others have already perfected.

28288_1463630837680_1440763951_1230516_1403571_n.jpg

Don't have a bench to test it, should have asked before picking them up, but visually it looks good.

The shop that did the porting should have a flow bench if they are claiming 300/230 cfm of flow, especially when using the stock 2.00/1.55" valves. Several well known LS1 speed part suppliers sell upgraded heads using LS1 castings and even though they are CNC ported (opposed to hand ported) and using larger than stock 2.02/1.57" valves, they don't reach 300/230 cfm's of flow @.600" of lift (296/220 cfm). I just hope you aren't a victim of a shop that thinks they don't need a flow bench to hit a certain flow number. Unfortunately visuals don't mean much in terms of flow.

I need to find out what oil pan and T56 to start hunting for. Found some that had measurements but nothing so far on what one lines up on the 240z. JTR headers should be in next week. :) Also was trying to determine which kit to go with for mounting the engine, jci or jtr. I have a fab shop and could just do it manually but would rather just throw a few bucks at it not have to actually engineer something that others have already perfected.

The GM oil pan/pickup/windage tray options are '98-'02 F-Body LS1 or '05-'07 Y-Body LS2.

Although there are many years/makes/models that came with the T-56 and can be made to work with a S30/LSx/T-56 conversion, the easiest (and usually cheapest) options for doing a S30/LSx/T-56 conversion are the T-56's that came from the '98-'02 F-Body w/LS1 or '04-'06 GTO w/LS1 or LS2.

Lastly, buying a pre-engineered kit is the way to go. Like you basically said, why re-invent the wheel? Plus building your own mounting kit might not work with the JTR headers you just bought.

S30/LSx mounting kit options are easy since JTR does NOT make a mounting kit for the LSx series of engines, just GEN I and II SBC engines (its a common mistake since they sell Sanderson LSx swap headers intended for use with JCI's S30/LSx conversion mounting kit). JCI is the only company that produces S30/LSx mounting kit that I am aware of.

Edited by Cable

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You just need to make sure that the crank pulley and all the accessories are the same. The water pumps have a large pulley, so they work on all f body and gto and corvette applications. However, the spacing on all the rest of the accessories varies from model to model. The corvette accessories are the most compact, but F body accessories are more common. ;)

I need to get the accessory brackets for the engine I'm building. Any suggestions on year/model to start looking for? Just need ac and alternator.

This one is from speedway motors for 159,

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LS1-Vortec-High-Mount-Alternator-Bracket,35274.html

Thanks

Phil

If you want A/C, the only setup I know that works is using a F-Body water pump, F-Body alternator brackets, and F-Body crank pulley along with JCI's A/C bracket. It is the only setup (I know of) that doesn't create hood or strut tower clearence problems.

....F body accessories are more common. ;)

...and the truck accessories are the most common. ;)

Edited by Cable

• 2 weeks later...