HybridZ

Trans leak from shifter assembly

When I bought the car the transmission leaked. It was leaking from the seal on the driveshaft, so I replaced that. Then I saw that there was also transmission oil coming from the shifter assembly. I took out the center console so I could get a good look at it. FYI - this is a 1975 280Z that was original an auto, but swapped to 5-speed by some previous owner before me. I am not sure what model the trans is from.

There is the background info, here is my question:

It is leaking out of the gear change lever area. The tube that comes out the back doesn't have a cap on it. Not sure if it is supposed to, or if there needs to be a better seal around where the shifter control arm connects inside that assembly.

I got the pic from my FSM, but I know the trans isn't from a 75 but the diagram looks close. I also took a pic of my shifter. I did a search on MSA for a part that looks similar in description. Is that what I need?

Final question. While this is out, should I do a short shifter right now? If so, how can I tell what trans model I have to see what short shifter I need?

post-8628-12740979616838_thumb.jpg

The end cap isn't numbered or named.

post-8628-12740980728512_thumb.jpg

You can see the gear oil leaking out the back of the assembly.

MSA Shifter Part?

• 1 month later...

QUOTE: It is leaking out of the gear change lever area. The tube that comes out the back doesn't have a cap on it. Not sure if it is supposed to, or if there needs to be a better seal around where the shifter control arm connects inside that assembly.

This response may be useful to others searching for gear change lever area leaks. I'm using a T5 transmission from an 82 turbo car that G-Force built for me. It has always puked some gear oil from the shifter area. It doesn't appear to be coming from around the seal on the top plate but more from around the shifter itself. In fact when I last had it apart, a new seal was installed on the top plate. In a track car it's not a big deal because I can get to it easily and clean it. When it's really hot, it puts out even more. I'm using the Syngear II Racing Gear Lubricant that G-Force and Quaife both recommend for their products. I don't know how hot a street driven gear box can get but I can "peg" my Autometer gauge past 250 degrees in ten minutes or less on a hot day. I run a cooler and pump for the Quaife that lowers the temperature about twenty degrees but I haven't installed one on the gear box yet. John Coffee, if I remember correctly, has stated that really high temperatures of 300 degrees or more are normal for a race car and shouldn't hurt the differential or the transmission if the fluids are changed often and I do follow his recommendations.

No one really helped on here... but yeah my shop ordered a few plugs and we found one that fit. We could not find a part number for the plug on the end so we just measured the hole and ordered some in that size to see what fit best. I have not notice it leaking more, but I have not changed the gear oil yet and I need to do that as well. One thing at a time.

There is definitely supposed to be a plug there. I'm not sure how it would have fallen out, because IIRC, it would have been staked in place originally. There is also supposed to be a rubber boot over the shift linkage, which, judging by the gunk built up around it, has been missing for a while. That should be replaced too, or dirt is going to end up in the transmission.

Nigel

'73 240ZT