HybridZ

Preventing additional rust ... S30

JSM

I've got this 78 280z that has some cancer spots. I won't be able to attend to them right away. My thinking though is to cut out as much of the cancer as I can so it won't continue.

Is this good logic or just leave it alone. Off course once cut out I would at least prime the bare metal edges to provide some sort of protection.

I've got this 78 280z that has some cancer spots. I won't be able to attend to them right away. My thinking though is to cut out as much of the cancer as I can so it won't continue.

Is this good logic or just leave it alone. Off course once cut out I would at least prime the bare metal edges to provide some sort of protection.

I wouldn't cut additional holes in the body, that just exposes more internal structure to water. I would heavily wire brush the rusted areas and spray it with a rust converter and then a high zinc primer. It won't stop the rust but it will slow it down a bunch.

The combination of rust converter and an acrylic enamal spray paint is more than enough to protect a rusty area for a long time if you intend to cut it out later. There are also converter/paints like por15 and wurth rust-guard that are a one step "solution" with even less prep work, but may cost a little more. Putting some duct tape over the holes will help keep out water and critters but it gives a very unique look that you might not be keen on if this is a car you're driving.

The combination of rust converter and an acrylic enamal spray paint is more than enough to protect a rusty area for a long time if you intend to cut it out later. There are also converter/paints like por15 and wurth rust-guard that are a one step "solution" with even less prep work, but may cost a little more. Putting some duct tape over the holes will help keep out water and critters but it gives a very unique look that you might not be keen on if this is a car you're driving.

If the plan is to come back and fix the area later, I would avoid using POR15 or any other encapsulator. The stuff is a bitch to remove.

If the plan is to come back and fix the area later, I would avoid using POR15 or any other encapsulator. The stuff is a ***** to remove.

Good call, it would be pretty hard to not get it on the good metal too...converter and spray paint :icon14:

What im doing on my 280Z is wirebrush and/or sandblast the rust, then zinc prime, then prime, then paint but with what im reading here now i think i should've put some rustconverter under that ... at least i didnt do alot of it yet just the radiator support area.

Guest skimattybee

the best thing to do is to use a wire brush, or a grinder of some sort, depending on how deep the rust is, pick up a quart of ospho from your local napa, ospho is acid that eats away rust , and prepares it for paint,if the rust is through the body in any spots make sure you get the acid on the inside as well. after you ospho, scuff up the area make sure it is halfway clean and then pick up some self etching primer from autozone or napa , put a light coat of etching primer, about 5 bucks for a can, the self etching primer is green, so you might want to throw a good coat of sealer primer over that. and badda bing, you rust is dead