HybridZ

questions about jz1 jz2 rb25det

jake

hello my name is Jake i am very interested in doing a swap in my 1971 240z(this will be a weekend car mostly and summer car) i have done a ton of research on the rb25 and have a good grasp on how that swap is done, however i have seen a substantial amount of jz1/2 swaps done. First question i have is what all is involved in the jz1 swap and does it differ from the jz2, is there a manufacture that makes the mounts or will they have to be fabricated same for the drive shaft and oil-pan. What transmission should be used with the jz1/2 swap. Is there anything major that must be done. Also what is the cost difference in the Rb25 vs jz1 vs jz2. And what are the pros and cons for the jz engines. Thx,Jake

Oh where is a good place to get a reliable motor

From what I have been gathering (researching the swap as well (2JZ)) there isnt much difference between doing the 1j/2j swap they are very similiar and alot of the parts are interchangeable.

Far as the swap itself there are a few of them on here in the Toyota L6 section.....just check them out and the pinned info soon as you enter the section.

I have no idea of the cost diff. between the 3 engines really well def not the RB but the 1j/2j differ around $500-1000 depending on where you look. Far as where to get a relaible one not to sure as I have yet to get mine but Driftmotion.com and Titan Motorsports both sell them and are mentioned alot through alot of Supra forums.

Hope this helps some. B)

thx for the info is the 2jz worth getting over the 1jz i mean it just would seem dumb not too if its would be that small of a price difference

Welcome to Hybridz jake. I advise you to spend a little time hunting around this site before you start making eronious posts (see above) that have such poor gramar and spelling that they are difficult to understand. You don't need perfect english around here but you do need to make an effort.

As far as what is a "dumb" swap I would say that goes back to the old phrase of "there is no best". I guess you would think some members here who spend tens of thousands of dollars developing L6's which would likely not compete with a stock JZ of any denomination are dumb. Dumb because of the price difference right? Jake do yourself and all the other members a favor and read our rules and do your own research. Once the research is done you will be able to draw your own conclusion on this and many future projects. Thanks

I will try to keep my grammar a little more legible, i know what you mean by saying you couldn't understand what i wrote. I did do some research on this forum "Toyota l6" and i didnt really find some other questions i had im not asking to be spoon-fed but can you maybe direct me to a good thread to read. I was wondering about what the 1jz should come out of if it matters.

Listen to Roger, he has great advice ;)

Do you like to roll race?

28647820034_large.jpg

Seems to me like that is the typical 2JZ powerband. Not my cup of tea.

Thanks for the power band sheet, what is race roll.

No offense, that is not a typical 2jz-gte power band.

None taken, but is the one you posted any better? That curve looks like an on/off switch o_o

Like I said, not my cup of tea.

At 3,000 RPM, there is a little over 100 WHP/WTQ, but at 4,500 RPM there is over 500? Yikes!!

NP with the info Jake I'm pretty new here too, but like was said there is no best engine....all three will give you more then enough power unless you are trying for like 1000hp or something then id say a 2JZ.

but far as me I choose the 2JZ since it wasnt that much, I have a 1JZ laying around that is all tore up and missing parts and after pricing replacing all those parts etc I figured i might as well just buy a complete 2JZ. ;)

Hey are those graphs of all single turbo 2JZs? Looks like it....tghink most the STOCK 2JZ graphs i have seen have power spooling early with a drop off around 3500 then climbing steady again.

None taken, but is the one you posted any better? That curve looks like an on/off switch o_o

Like I said, not my cup of tea.

At 3,000 RPM, there is a little over 100 WHP/WTQ, but at 4,500 RPM there is over 500? Yikes!!

Thats what the transmission is for.I must say It's not for everyone. Just play it safe and put a small block v8 in it. It will be cheaper in the long run and plenty fast.

NP with the info Jake I'm pretty new here too, but like was said there is no best engine....all three will give you more then enough power unless you are trying for like 1000hp or something then id say a 2JZ.

but far as me I choose the 2JZ since it wasnt that much, I have a 1JZ laying around that is all tore up and missing parts and after pricing replacing all those parts etc I figured i might as well just buy a complete 2JZ. ;)

Hey are those graphs of all single turbo 2JZs? Looks like it....tghink most the STOCK 2JZ graphs i have seen have power spooling early with a drop off around 3500 then climbing steady again.

The one I posted was a single turbo. The 2jz-gte factory turbos are sequential. There are some problems with the second turbo free spooling to death with no load.Look up the operating sequence and potential problems known to happen( I am sure proper maintenance would prevent this). Single turbos seem to be more efficient and do not have complicated sequential mechinisms that are prone to failure. Just my .02.

I have a question for you; what do you want out of your car?.. I won't lie my 1jz 62-1 swap has lag but even with my lag the car is crazy fast. 0-60 I'm not worried about any v8 believe me... and 0-100 i might be able to take a c5 z06..lol not sure...Plus i like the fact i can cruise out of boost and save on gas and it's not like the car is gutless out of boost the s30 is a light car. Most people don't realize that deepening on how you drive and traction you can get a s30 in the 11's with only 300-325whp..

Now to answer your question, the 1jz and 2jz are similar when swapping. They both require custom motor/cross member mount. Both need custom trans mount.etc The 2jz is about 1-2 inches taller than the 1jz. hummmm they both can use the r154 trans from a mk3 supra(86.5-92 supra turbo)If you get a US r154 trans you will need a jdm bell housing( $300-$400) Which is the reason most just get a jdm motor set comes with motor and trans..the jdm 2jz comes with an auto trans.

Which to choose, it's up to you..In the long run both engines will both cost nearly the same..so in that case i guess the 2jz is the better choice..For me i love my 1jz and for my power goals the little money saved going with the 1jz is worth it to me. In the end like already said, all these engines are great in their own way..

I have a question for you; what do you want out of your car?.. I won't lie my 1jz 62-1 swap has lag but even with my lag the car is crazy fast. 0-60 I'm not worried about any v8 believe me... and 0-100 i might be able to take a c5 z06..lol not sure...Plus i like the fact i can cruise out of boost and save on gas and it's not like the car is gutless out of boost the s30 is a light car. Most people don't realize that deepening on how you drive and traction you can get a s30 in the 11's with only 300-325whp..

Now to answer your question, the 1jz and 2jz are similar when swapping. They both require custom motor/cross member mount. Both need custom trans mount.etc The 2jz is about 1-2 inches taller than the 1jz. hummmm they both can use the r154 trans from a mk3 supra(86.5-92 supra turbo)If you get a US r154 trans you will need a jdm bell housing( $300-$400) Which is the reason most just get a jdm motor set comes with motor and trans..the jdm 2jz comes with an auto trans.

Which to choose, it's up to you..In the long run both engines will both cost nearly the same..so in that case i guess the 2jz is the better choice..For me i love my 1jz and for my power goals the little money saved going with the 1jz is worth it to me. In the end like already said, all these engines are great in their own way..

So are u saying if I did a 2jz I would have no choice but automatic (by the way I am not going to do auto I know automatics can be better for high horsepower cars but I just don't want to go that route). So why won't the japan 5speed not work. By the way I'm going to try to make 325 350 wheel hp. Thx I apreciate your help

The one I posted was a single turbo. The 2jz-gte factory turbos are sequential. There are some problems with the second turbo free spooling to death with no load.Look up the operating sequence and potential problems known to happen( I am sure proper maintenance would prevent this). Single turbos seem to be more efficient and do not have complicated sequential mechinisms that are prone to failure. Just my .02.

Im not real familiar with the whole seq setup but just happen to get the july Import tuner today in the mail and was reading a article about a 1022whp twin Supra, and in the article something they mentioned was this........

http://www.spracingonline.com/projects/“http://www.spracingonline.com/store/Sound_Performance_Spool_Valve/3643â€

not sure how it works completely when used with the stock seq setup but was wondering if this may help with the problem you mentioned but was a interesting lil product esp since ill be doing a full custom exhaust as it is...not sure if you guys have any experiance with these.

So are u saying if I did a 2jz I would have no choice but automatic (by the way I am not going to do auto I know automatics can be better for high horsepower cars but I just don't want to go that route). So why won't the japan 5speed not work. By the way I'm going to try to make 325 350 wheel hp. Thx I apreciate your help

You can use the R154 (5-spd) it is from the 7M-GTE Supra but can be used on a JZ series with a bellhousing and a 7M clutch and JZ flywheel i believe...all of which you can find over at Driftmotion.com as well if you check the 1jz/2jz swap section.

You can use the R154 (5-spd) it is from the 7M-GTE Supra but can be used on a JZ series with a bellhousing and a 7M clutch and JZ flywheel i believe...all of which you can find over at Driftmotion.com as well if you check the 1jz/2jz swap section.

I must be confused I was looking at engines on ebay 1/2jz "not that I would get one from there but just to get an estimate of prices" and I saw a lot with manuals are u saying I can't use the stock 1jz tranny for a s30 swapm tyy to bare with me I am new to jzs I am kind of an) guy or atleast I now a lot more about them.

Idk why you couldnt but dont know exactly think most you find just come with autos....not sure because I already have the R154 so only really looked into how to mate it to the JZ and throw it in the S30.

Im not real familiar with the whole seq setup but just happen to get the july Import tuner today in the mail and was reading a article about a 1022whp twin Supra, and in the article something they mentioned was this........

http://www.spracingonline.com/projects/“http://www.spracingonline.com/store/Sound_Performance_Spool_Valve/3643â€

not sure how it works completely when used with the stock seq setup but was wondering if this may help with the problem you mentioned but was a interesting lil product esp since ill be doing a full custom exhaust as it is...not sure if you guys have any experiance with these.

This is the route I am planning on going. As stated by gritz small displacement motors can get good gas milage when not in boost. I have a MS3 that I commute in to work. It puts 300 to the front wheels and I get 22mpg on a average tank full. The car weighs 3200 lbs.

No offense, why bother with 350 whp. The 280zx turbo motor can make this alot cheaper(alot less hassle too).I have one laying on the side of the house that came out of my 73. You should really search this forum alot more. Plenty of members making these numbers with the zx motor.