HybridZ

My Z's new bum....

Tim240z

Guest Anonymous

Looks cool, I too liked the firebird lights, similar looking. It'll look great when its painted with just the slits showing light. Very cool idea.

Regards,

Lone

Do you have an illustration of the end product or do we have to wait it out?
Scottie...Just working from an idea in my head...we'll both have to wait to see the finished product.

Reminds me of the 1969 Firebird taillights - I've always admired the look of those lenses. Question please? Since you mention you're using the stock Z lens under the new panel - how will you address the moisture, debris, and other stuff that may get sandwiched between the new panel and the stock panel?
Racer...I am going to put some lexan on the inside of the new panel sealing the panel. If some crap does get in there, I can just pull out the lights and blow it out with compressed air.

Looks cool, I too liked the firebird lights, similar looking

Lone...That is exactly the car that inspired me. I ran the gammut of ideas..Vette, etc, but kept coming back to this one.

I was thinking about bringing the exhaust tip out through this rear panel, but I like the smoothness without a cutout, so I may just point it down, level with the bottom of the new panel (exhaust unseen).

Tim

I just noticed something -it sure looks clean without the license plate. What will you do to address this? Will you just screw the plate on? or will you fabricate a countersunk (frenched) panel to accomodate the license plate - and you will need a light for the plate too! I like the idea of hiding the exhaust.

RacerX

I haven't yet decided on the licence plate issue. One thing may determine my course of action:

The latch hook for the hatch is now completely enclosed, with no method of adjusting up or down to adjust the closed lines of the hatch. I am hoping that where I mounted it is spot on. If not I will need to drill two holes in the new panel near the top to get to the two bolts to loosen and then tighten them. If I do have to drill these holes, then I will use the licence plate to cover them (will use two rubber grommets first).

Either way, for the licence plate lights I plan to use the little bolt/light combos that Summit and other places have. I've seen them on hot rods and they look clean and neat.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Frenching the license plate has been mentioned here, just a word if anyone is looking to do that, check the rod type magazines (old roadsters, highboys etc).

They have complete kits that has the license bucket thats already lit for fairly reasonable. You just cut the hole, tack the box in place, weld and finish. I guess street rods and hot rod's like ours aren't all so different, many of they're solutions will work sweet for us as well. Just an option for anyone looking to do that and wants to save a bit of time.

Regards,

Lone

After some thought about the licence plate placement, I am thinking about putting down low to cover the outlets of the fuel cell. I haven't been able to find any citations in the CA Vehicle Code as to the placement of the licence plate (at least height from ground/bottom of the car).

Anyone have any info/advice on this one?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim, I think the cops are really concerned with the 'lighting' aspect of the plates, not really where the plate is. If you bought one of those frenched license plate brackets and welded it into the rear lower valence, as long as it was lighted, I really don't think the cops would have much to say. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Lone's suggestion sounds like a good one to cover up the fuel cell outlets.

Davy

Looks like my idea has been 'wet blanketed' by the State of CA again: malebitchslap.giftwak.gifflamedevil.gifcry2.gifcry2.gifcry2.gif

5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the

vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from

swinging and shall be mounted in a position to be clearly visible,

and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible.

The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor

more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate

shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground.

Tim

Again, I don't think they'll bother you and I truly believe you can get away with this.

That said, if it does not work out (read: fix-it ticket), you will still have to have it mounted in back anyway. I would be very tempted to put suction cups in the holes of the plate ans stick the sucker to the back windshield. That may be a bit iffy since the glass slants a lot, but it may actually be legal. You need a friend who is a cop...

Also, you are in LA...so don't tell me more than half of the lowriders, ricers, truckers, etc. have equipment or other that isn't legal. :rolleyes: Do a sano job and I bet they leave you alone. Even if you get a ticket, I'd find a way to mount it temporarily to get the fix-it ticket erased and then mount it back to the original place :D That's one reason I'll run coil-overs--if i get a ticket for being too low, 10 minutes later I'll have it to 'legal' height.

Tim, take an antacid and relax--you worry too much about this stuff, especially being in LA.

Davy

Tim,

Nice tail light idea and progress you have made so far. I've imagined similar designs based on certain ricer fads of the past and the Nissan Pulsar tail lights that had a similar taillight cover treatment (different design, however) years ago.

I think after you view the lights through the body slots, some other aesthetic or lighting issues may be revealed. I being a photographer, I know how light behaves through translucent and colored objects. If you use the stock tail lights, you may find that they will not project through the slots in an even or pleasing way, especially from certain angles. On the other hand, it you use certain types of color plastics to cover them or use substitute lighting, you may find that light fall off edge to edge, or brightness or quality of red and amber hues and saturation may fall short of what you expected. I'll be most interested to see how you address these questions because they are mine as well.

What to do cosmetically with the license plate has always been a question for me also. If extra work were no object, I'd be intriqued to create a recessed and lighted cavity that would have a hydraulic activated sliding door that could be closed flush with the rear panel when not breaking any state laws.

Although, not a perfect idea for your design, Luciano Sarra's license plate treatment on his custom E-type Jag might give you an idea or two.

To review many more close-up photos of custom tail light treatments on Z cars you might like to check out the 2000 West Coast Z National photo display at my website.

Eric Neyelin - ZPARTS.COM