HybridZ

86 and 87 Volvo 240DL wagons.

ModernS30

Hey guys, I have the chance to buy two Volvo 240DL wagons for 800 dollars. They both run and drive. I only drove one of them the other needs some brake work and alternator belts. Does anybody on here own one of these? I am trying to decide if it would be a good choice. The one I drove was quite rusty, the other one looked pretty solid. I was thinking use the parts from the one I drove on the other one so I could make one solid car. That or fix up one and sell it and drive the other with a little work. The rusty one was rusty and needed new front strut assembly's because some stuff had broken and was rubbing. Other than that, a brake bleed and it was good to go. Had receipt from 400 dollars of brake work in late 2008. It also had a new exhaust on it but one of the welds had broken, easy fix. The other one will need a radiator, the belts, probably at least brake pads and bled then it should be good to go. one had bad interior, the other was in great shape.

My family has owned some Volvo's before I think they were 240DL sedans can't remember for sure. One thing about older volvos is that they have electrical problems sometimes and it can cost a lot to figure it out and replace it. At least were we lived it was hard to find parts for and the AFM's usually go bad and cost around $600 I think. Otherwise they were pretty nice we had them for a long time, but we moved on to Honda's and Nissans because they were cheaper and more available.

What are your reasons for buying them? Is it just because its a good deal or? They are nice cars but can cost a lot to repair.

As a Volvo person I'd buy them. However you shouldn't buy them to make money, they just don't have that kind of value. Depending on the mileage of the one, even if it was in decent shape, you won't make much on them. This is taking into account time/money. 240's are actually cheap to fix, since they ran the model for so long, with little changes. Buy parts from online distributors like www.fcpgroton.com . I order the majority of my parts from there, unless it's performance related, generic, or I can only get from the dealership. I usually don't touch rusty Volvo's. Why?

Well since Volvo has a 7 layer paint system where they dip the panels. If you see a rusty Volvo, it has been mistreated and not clean/maintained. Thats why you'll see 20 year old Volvo's rolling around in Michigan without rust and a 2 year old GM product rusting to hell.

I love my 850 T-5R...it gives me small issues every now and then. Since it has 159,000 miles I've had to replace things like all the vacuum hoses, radiator, heater hoses, alternator, brake calipers, shocks/struts and stuff but thats because of age and normal wear/tear. Its the first Volvo I've owned and I bought it for $3000 with 133,000 miles on it in average condition and its a good car...just wish it was RWD and the previous owner had taken better care of the paint.

As a Volvo person I'd buy them. However you shouldn't buy them to make money, they just don't have that kind of value. Depending on the mileage of the one, even if it was in decent shape, you won't make much on them. This is taking into account time/money. 240's are actually cheap to fix, since they ran the model for so long, with little changes. Buy parts from online distributors like www.fcpgroton.com . I order the majority of my parts from there, unless it's performance related, generic, or I can only get from the dealership. I usually don't touch rusty Volvo's. Why?

Well since Volvo has a 7 layer paint system where they dip the panels. If you see a rusty Volvo, it has been mistreated and not clean/maintained. Thats why you'll see 20 year old Volvo's rolling around in Michigan without rust and a 2 year old GM product rusting to hell.

One is an AZ car and isn't rusty, at all. The other seems to be a rust bucket. I am not buying them cause they are cheap, or to make money, my idea is to basically just get out what I put in two from one. So 800 from one. That or it will be scrapped, I don't have room for two cars. I need something to DD while the Z is being put together. I am sharing the Impreza with my brother and its getting to be a PITA. As far as electrical issues, they both seemed to start and run great. They drove fine, I figure the rusty one is a donor for a few quick parts and then scrap. Maybe pull the engine and put it in a z? HAHA They sounds pretty sweet I think. Not sure power wise. One has 175k+ the rusty one, speedo works "Most of the time" meaning it has more. The other one has 202k. Like I said, both start and run fine. I would just buy one but then I would be buying some parts. Belts will just be replaced brand new. $10 a piece for 2 belts. No reason to be a cheap a**. Other than that The rad would just get swapped over, not spending 120 on one. Replace all the bulbs to be safe and swap the interior from the rusty one over (super clean, blue but nice). I figure with a few routine maintenance things and a few hundred extra into one it would be a reliable daily. Just trying to see what others have experience. Thanks for the responses.

They WERE great cars.

Easy to work on, RWD, parts are cheap, etc.

BUT they are old technology.

I would look for something FWD, good on gas, that will hold it's value, and be easy to resell.

An old mid 90's 4cyl Camry wagon is great car/choice.

Saturns are another cheap alternative.

They WERE great cars.

Easy to work on, RWD, parts are cheap, etc.

BUT they are old technology.

I would look for something FWD, good on gas, that will hold it's value, and be easy to resell.

An old mid 90's 4cyl Camry wagon is great car/choice.

Saturns are another cheap alternative.

I can't stand fwd. I don't want something that holds it's value because well, then it is more expensive. I am a broke kid that is trying to build a z car and do it in a way it ends up decent. Don't say well if your broke don't build a car, I don't care what anybody says, life is to short to not do what I want to do and enjoy it. I just want something for a low $ that I can drive. If I get a FWD cheap, that's fine, but RWD is preferred.

Mileage means little when talking Volvo. 200k is breaking it in, there is a reason the dealership has badges to put on your car for each 100k you put on them. On a side note I met Irv Gordon, the guy with 2.7 million miles on his car, which is a Volvo P1800. Nice guy, loves his car.

You may think Volvo's are old technology. Besides looking outdated, they have consistently pioneer many safety systems and other car technologies. The standards they have are often years ahead of other manufacturers. If you have ever really torn into a Volvo you'll realize they engineer their products to last and be easy to work on. For example I believe the grill in the 240 can be removed by turning two nobs/screws and you can pop it right out. This theme can be found all over the car's panels and other things you commonly need to replace are meant to come off. 240's come with Dana 30 rear ends and have 4 cylinders,

My 1996 850 T-5 Wagon has Side impact air bags, leather heated seats, power everything, winter mode for the transmission (starts off in 3rd), headlight wipers (honest they do work). Basically it's got most of the standard items cars are just now bragging about.

Sounds like a nice DD for you. If anyone gives you flack, tell them you'll race them to 500k miles and see who's car is still working?

You may think Volvo's are old technology. Besides looking outdated, they have consistently pioneer many safety systems and other car technologies. The standards they have are often years ahead of other manufacturers. If you have ever really torn into a Volvo you'll realize they engineer their products to last and be easy to work on. For example I believe the grill in the 240 can be removed by turning two nobs/screws and you can pop it right out. This theme can be found all over the car's panels and other things you commonly need to replace are meant to come off. 240's come with Dana 30 rear ends and have 4 cylinders,

My 1996 850 T-5 Wagon has Side impact air bags, leather heated seats, power everything, winter mode for the transmission (starts off in 3rd), headlight wipers (honest they do work). Basically it's got most of the standard items cars are just now bragging about.

The way some things are held onto the Volvo's is weird though, the front corner lamps on 850's are held on with no screws or bolts, just springs and the place they seat breaks easy. The grille is held on by 7 or 8 plastic clips, the battery just has a plastic wedge piece to hold it in. Very very different than what I'm used to with Nissan, Honda or Toyota Japanese cars, the few American cars I've had or even VW's of the same vintage.

My '95 T-5R was the first car to have side impact air bags, has a decent trip computer for a car from 1995...it also has the nice power leather/suede heated seats which are still in great shape(the driver's seatback cable just broke on mine so I've gotta replace that cable which was only $45), the winter mode works well in deep snow, although my headlight wipers haven't worked for as long as I've owned the car. Most things I've had to fix that truly broke and weren't worn out due to normal age wear/tear are small nit-picky things like the trunk support struts, some plastic interior trim pieces, the front underbody airpan/splashpan, the front & rear hard brake lines because when I replaced the soft lines the damn copper fittings on the hard lines got completely stripped out even though I was careful as I possibly could be.

I love my Volvo though, still wish I had a 350Z though.