HybridZ

Need Information

First of all I'd like to say hello to the board. Name's David. I'm here because I'm thinking of purchasing a car with a Chevy V-8 swap already done and I was pointed here by many other datsun enthusiasts. Word is that hybridz.org is the best datsun z site in existence. My initial reaction is that they were right.

I'll be short and to the point and if you don't feel like responding, a few links to answers to my questions would be much appreciated.

Here's the deal. The guy I'm talking to has a 240z he's selling. Says he bought it a while back for around $6000. It has a 5.7 L 350 Chevy TBI in it. It supposedly runs good, and has been driven very little since he acquired it.

My question is simple;I know **** about this type of engine. Can someone tell me about the performance aspects of this particular V8? What year they were produced? Some of its pitfalls? It's weight? Is this a good base set up with potential for upgrades and bigger hp or was it a waste of time performing this swap. I know these are basic questions, and that's why links would work just fine.

Also, when I test drive it, what should I be listening for, expecting from the swap.

Not a V8 guy as you can tell by my questions, but I'm intrigued. Thanks in advance.

Here's a pic of the engine bay.

http://yfrog.com/ml3k73m93p05t35q15s5a6772j

Edited by KingDavid

If its a TBI most likely its out of a Camaro or a Trans Am. As to weight its pretty close to the stock weight of the L28. If it has alluminumn heads and other AL parts then it can actually weigh less than the stock motor. It is cheaper to get more HP out of a SBC than a L28 as well.

The TBI setup is likely of mid to late 80's vintage. They worked pretty well in moderate applications, good driveability and a very flat torque curve, although never a real high rpm setup. It would probably go to around 250-300 hp pretty easy, which is exciting in a S30. If you want to it's easy to swap to a carbed or aftermarket efi setup. Once you get below the intake it's a regular SBC. If it's one of the aluminum head versions that would be a big plus.

Welcome to HybridZ.

jt

Bought the z after all for a very low price; my first S30 btw. IMO they are hard to come by in Texas.

The Good? The body is straight, is has the V8 in it and it has very little rust anywhere on the car. And the little rust that is present, is mostly superfical. The Engine started right up and it after running it for around half an hour straight, no problems. Got it for a good price.

The Bad? The the owner couldn't tell me what year this 350 came out of or how much mileage is on the set up. The engine looks like ****, lots or rust, so I know it's been sitting for awhile. Wires everywhere. No power steering. BTW How hard is it ($$$ + Labor) to add?

Any ideas what year this might have come out of or how to find out?

http://img709.imageshack.us/g/1000806em.jpg/

There's a pad on the block right above the passenger side water pump bolts. You may have to remove the alternator to see it. The engine code is stamped there, you can search it on mortec.com. It's an 87-up, since it has the centerbolt valve covers.

The V8 isn't much heavier than the original L6, so power steering usually isn't an issue. It's easier to build upper body strength than add power steering, although a few guys here have done it.

jt

:blink:

1000802w.jpg

What are those wires hanging over the headers?? I would go through and do a re-wiring to clean all of that up. If you can at least get them away from the exhaust manifold, that would be great.

Lack of power steering can be hard to get used to at first, but I learned quickly. I actually enjoy it as part of my "Z experience."

Little to no rust is great! Sounds like a good find.

Edited by flatblack280

There is a world of information about your motor right on the block and heads. There is a pad right behind the alternator on the block with data and on the back of the engine you will find casting numbers. There are many sites on the internet to help you decode the numbers, figure out what type of vehicle the engine came from etc. Check out the site below, it is from Year One and contains a tutorial on engine id. Good Luck

http://www.yearone.com/updatedsinglepages/id_info/gm_engine_id/engineinfo1.html

Great link Zinpieces!

KindDavid -

Do you have some pics of the car? Also, I'm curious if you ever found the engine markings and identified the engine. You should post a pic of the stampings so I can partice reading the engine vin! It's a new skill I wanna try out! haha