HybridZ

Painting stripes

Bohnzii

I,m sure some of you are familiar with the "Shelby stripes" that run from front to rear over the top of the car. Would someone give me a quick lesson in painting stripes? My 74 260 is now in Flat black epoxy primer and about ready to paint. Is a base coat/clear coat the best way to go? how do they make the edges where the different colors meet smooth togther without ridges?

When we were married in 73 I had a 71 240. Now that the kids are raised I'm back to the Z car I've missed all these years. I have experience painting but not with stripes. Any tips, advice, or two cents worth from anybody would be much appreciated

Good job RacerX! This is how it's done. Make sure you paint the stripe color first it is much easier to mask off the stripe than the rest of the car to prevent overspray. Another tip is to dry sand the edge of the stripe lightly with 600 grit after applying the car color. This will knock down the ridge making the final sanding easier to achieve that smooth look & feel. Make sure to read the manufactures recomendation on how many clear coats to apply. We use Dupont and they only recomend two heavy coats. Rick 2thumbs.gif

I did it the other way, sprayed the body color first, then stripes, then clear. It would probably have been easier the way RacerX said. I used the 3M blue to lay down the stripes. The fun part was to assemble everything that the stripe would go over, then lay the stripe and keep it straight! Then take appart everything to spray the color. Click below to see pics. rockon.gif

Thank all of you from the bottom of my heart. I've become so scepticle about posting anything at websites, I was expecting the worst. At most other sites I've been on,and not just Z car sites, I get some very cynical replies. This is without a doubt the best site ever I've landed at!

Mike kZ, You hit the nail on the head with your paint scheme. I plan a dark blue with white stripes if I live long enough. I won't tell you my age but let's just say I,m putting an automatic in it to be a little easier on my arthritic knees.

Again, RacerX, V8Zracer and Mike kZ thanks

Bohnzii, if you ever see anyone getting hammered for a question they ask here, it will probably get taken care of by the moderators right away. If not email them and we will fix the problem PRONTO. That's the way things are done here at HybridZ!

Another point to think about is that you may not want the stripes to actually be the same width at the front of the hood and the back. I believe it was on the old 2nd gen Camaro that they used a trick that you started out with the stripes a bit narrower at the front of the hood and it tapered up to full width at the windshield. This was to get away from the illusion that constant width stripes on that car (and probably any sloped nose car) look wider at the front than the rear. Maybe check one of the 2nd gen Camaro boards for resto tips on this.