HybridZ

Head selection on my LS1

Hey guys

I'm currently itching for something to do on the car since I haven't done anything to it in a while and its fun for me.

anyway my current setup is

2000 LS1 T56

224/224 .567" I/E on 114 LSA camshaft (with appropriate springs/pushrods)

FAST 90/90 intake/tb

sanderson 1 3/4" headers

2.5" exhaust off collectors to single 3" (no cat/res) bullet style magnaflow muffler (have electric cutout to install, 3")

Current best 1/4 mile is 11.77 @119 with a 1.77 60' on 235/60/15 MT Street ET drag radials

Power output is 378 rwhp 367trq (400 was tire spin)

26118_386632712343_512692343_4355502_2170554_n.jpg

My heads are currently stock 241 castings with the upgraded springs.

I'm thinking with the FAST intake and cam that heads are the next power mod that should make it all work together and unlock some synergies of the mods I have. I'm wondering if stock 243's heads are worth while since they flow a bit better and give a slight bump in compression. Or I could get them then mill them to decrease the Combustion Chambers to further bump the compression (I have 94 octane readily available here) but I'd keep it reasonable.

Another option that is popular for my small-ish cam are the 5.3L heads milled to 59cc chambers which gives the compression bump.

Goals = 11.49 or so for the track so not huge there, the magical 400rwhp would be nice but driveability on the street is the most important, flatter torque curve to redline, I'm assuming that the flow is hurting me in the top end.

Thoughts? Comments?

I was able to pick up a pair of AFR 205's last summer for a steal. Less than half what they cost new :blink:. They were also milled to 62cc combustion chambers, so with my cam it gave me roughly an 11.4 compression ratio. Very safe if you run a thin head gasket, to get a nice tight quench. I went with the MLS Cometic .040's. Even as small as your cam is, you might run into PTV clearance issues. I'm only running a 228/230 .588/.592 on a 112, and I had to flycut my pistons on the intake side. Had I left them alone, I would have only had .010, instead of the recommended .100 . PM me if you need the place to buy a tool to do so.

Also, it recommended to swap to LS7 lifters, new lifter cups, you may or may not need different pushrods, and you might as well put in ARP bolts (JIC you ever have to pull a head you won't have to buy new bolts)

It was a nice bump in power. Definitely noticeable, even in my pig of an F-body.

I've seen those 5.3L heads as an option as well... To further the "while I'm at it" would it be wise to swap the cam while I have the top half off anyway? I'm thinking something in the torquer V2 (still under .600 lift and 230's duration)...

didn't you run that cam for a while colt?

I've seen those 5.3L heads as an option as well... To further the "while I'm at it" would it be wise to swap the cam while I have the top half off anyway? I'm thinking something in the torquer V2 (still under .600 lift and 230's duration)...

I'd stick with the cam you already have, I was warned that without long tube headers, going to a larger cam wouldn't yield as big of a gain.

I did run the V2 with stock 243's and made 411hp. When I swapped to the ported 5.3 head I also swapped the cam over to the MS3 at the same time.. Wish I would have just kept the V2 cam in there.