HybridZ

Franken-Z

no pictures yet but i figured i would start a thread anyway. about a month ago i purchased a 71 240z, i bribed my boss to rent a trailer and drive 2 hours away so when i finally saw it up close i felt obligated to get it and not have wasted his time. i got it home and realized that the rust was to the point that i would need a donor car or worse. 2 days after the purchase i was told of a 74 260z right up the road from me on ebay. i went by and looked at the car and compaired to mine it was solid. needs new floors but what z nowadays doesnt. the ebay price went higher than i wanted to pay but the history of the people bidding was suspicious so i held off. much to my (lack of) suprise, the winning bidder bailed so now i have both the 260 and the 240. my boss/roomate purchased a miller mig welder and we have been practicing on spare electrical materials that we have laying around. mostly welding together metal boxes. im really hoping that from the 2 cars i can make 1 working and solid one, hence the name of the post. each one has its own set of flaws but at the end of the day i will chalk it all up to learning. ive ripped everything out of the 240 except the dash and the 260 came pre gutted. ive taken the fenders and hood of of both cars and started sanding things down to bare metal to prime and paint. im always afraid that im not doing something right or that i will break something expensive but i read the other posts on here and see people just going for it and that is my inspiration. i hope to have pix of both cars shortly. thanks in advance to anyone who follows this.

my work schedule is keeping me very busy because i have till tuesday to get this dmv ready to open from an electrical standpoint but have to fit in about 10 days worth of work. i did however have a few minutes to work on the car today. i took off the plastic pieces under the passenger side fender so i could better scrape off the undercoating. i found more rust than the small hole i knew about in the firewall. the battery tray isnt rusted but the piece of metal under it is where acorns have been sitting and probably holding moisture. people who cant buy a 20 dollar tarp to cover thier cars should be shot... more to come as time allows

removed the plastic inner fender pieces on the drivers side today, as well as the ac condenser and the radiator. scrapped off and sanded down a little more. also vacuumed out and cleaned the inside bonnet area and under the battery tray. at the moment im most concerned about the upper portion of the radiator support and everything infront of it. the welds are broken, and the pieces seem bent like something happened to the car but the fenders are straight and the bezels solid so either theyre replacement parts or some very odd accident occured. i intend to re-spotweld what i can and to cut some pieces off of the 240 to use to fill in the blanks on the 260. once this dmv is finished though i may have around 3g to just buy something that needs drastically less work and part out both cars to recoup what i can. untill i know for sure ill keep chipping away at what i have though. sometimes you have to break things to learn how to fix them...

• 1 month later...

ugh, says my last post was 4 weeks ago and that just makes me sad. the dmv is long finished though random bs seems to keep pulling me away from my cars. ive been scrapping and sanding and came to the conclusion that something happened to the drivers side of the car because the inner wheel well and everything forward looked totally crumpled. i hammered it out as best as i could but it still displeases me. the frame rail is still straight and solid though so im not too worried about it. besides itll all look perfect from under the fender, and all of your houses. i bought a larger air compressor this weekend as well as a cut off tool. ive since removed the metal under the battery tray and some metal in the area above the tail light panel. incase anyone is reading this btw, i was wondering how important the dip in the piece above the tail light panel is or if i can just replace it with a straight piece of metal and still have the hatch close like it should. hopefully ill have a day to take some pics soon because im sure the pictures in your guys heads dont do the horror of all of this justice. or perhaps they make my struggle seem insignificant...