HybridZ

Quaife noise

coolbeans

I raced today and it was the first time I've really downshifted hard since putting the Quaife in an r200 280z. The rearend seemed to slip or not engage right away downshifting from 3000 rpm or so. It made a grinding kind of noise until it engaged and then went on as normal. It works awesome in every other way and makes no strange noises or humming.It did this several times while downshifting to first gear from midrange rpm. I hadn't noticed the problem until I put aggressive tires on and really started to push the car. I took the rearend to a shop to have it installed as I didn't want to try a setup on such an expensive diff. I've not had any problems or issues with the rearend in 500 miles since finishing the car.

Hey John, I'm running a t56. Would the trans make a chattering noise or loud clicking when downshifting hard like that? It also made the noise on a hard decel from 6000 rpm without shifting down. I hadn't thought about the clutch it seems to be working great on acceleration.

Thanks

Hey John, I'm running a t56. Would the trans make a chattering noise or loud clicking when downshifting hard like that? It also made the noise on a hard decel from 6000 rpm without shifting down. I hadn't thought about the clutch it seems to be working great on acceleration.

Thanks

OK, now I feel a little stupid. The noise is coming from the differential nose coming down and hitting the sway bar or the swaybar moving up or both. I,m still wondering about the Quaife and how it is suppose to feel being a 1 way diff. Did I feel something or just hear something? I'm also wondering if the rt mount would fix the issue of the diff nose diving down, I see it would limit the up motion. I didn't notice any of this until I recently put on the r888's.

Your stock diff mount should prevent the nose from hitting anything by moving down. It should have a big rubber pad in it. If you use the RT mount the poly bushing is pretty stiff and you can remove the stock mount, so you should get less movement and more clearance between the crossmember and the diff. You'll have to check the swaybar for clearance yourself, but I know that my car had the sway bar bound up pretty badly and I never actually heard it despite the fact that it was hitting the frame rails hard enough to leave dents.

I haven't used a Quaife, but I've talked to customers with True-tracs which are pretty similar and they've described a crunching noise when turning one direction than the other with the unit in the front of a 4x4 and also when backing out of a tight spot. I can't remember anyone here complaining about noises from a Quaife.

Edited by JMortensen

Your stock diff mount should prevent the nose from hitting anything by moving down. It should have a big rubber pad in it. If you use the RT mount the poly bushing is pretty stiff and you can remove the stock mount, so you should get less movement and more clearance between the crossmember and the diff. You'll have to check the swaybar for clearance yourself, but I know that my car had the sway bar bound up pretty badly and I never actually heard it despite the fact that it was hitting the frame rails hard enough to leave dents.

I haven't used a Quaife, but I've talked to customers with True-tracs which are pretty similar and they've described a crunching noise when turning one direction than the other with the unit in the front of a 4x4 and also when backing out of a tight spot. I can't remember anyone here complaining about noises from a Quaife.

The problem partly is the pinion flange is a 1975 that is rectangular intsead of square or round. I currently do not have an rt mount at all, it's a new factory mount. I don't think I need more then a 1/8th or 3/16th inch. Does someone make the rt mount to buy or is there a diagram to make it? I probably should strenghthen any weak spot I have and it sounds like poeple have had problems with diff mounts in the past.

Thanks for the info

I also did not mention it was the pinion flange that it was hitting and it's a bigger aftermarket swaybar. So as the driveline turned it was hitting on the edge of the flange itself and barly on the allen head bolts on the long side of the rectangular flange

I also did not mention it was the pinion flange that it was hitting and it's a bigger aftermarket swaybar. So as the driveline turned it was hitting on the edge of the flange itself and barly on the allen head bolts on the long side of the rectangular flange

It sounds like you've seen the wear marks so you aren't guessing. Good job.

Those stock diff mounts do suck. Mostly people have issues with the nose of the diff coming up and tearing the strap and the diff mount though. The RT diff mount changes the pinion angle, not sure in which direction, so that may or may not be a good thing. I know dimensions have been posted before. Might find them in the downloads section. Or you could buy one from roostmonkey. They aren't very expensive through him.