HybridZ

Fuel filter before pump?

Hey guys

I'm being told that I have to put a filter in between the tank and fuel pump. Are there any special ways to install this? or do I just cut the fuel line in half and install the pump.

Also the line that goes from the tank to the pump is a half inch. Arent filters supposed to be fitted by a 3/8th inch fuel line?

Any advice?

Thanks

You dont "have" to but it is a good idea to install one to prevent rust particles flowing through your efi system... hmm im not an expert by any means but i would suggest to just use them temporarily until u dont see any rust/dirt particles in the clear g3 filter. Here is a great install page http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fuel/g3filter/index.htm

Ok thanks guys. But I'm still not sure how to install the g3 filter if it is 3/8ths and the hose on the tank side is 1/2.

Also the end of the fuel pump that's pointing away from the engine is 1/2". So is there a fuel filter of that brand that has 1/2" ends?

I suppose you could use something like this.... http://shop1.actinicexpress.co.uk/shops/Rat_Sport/images/catalog/Hose_Adapter.JPG that could be sold at your local hardware store or automotive store. But just remember that all this stuff is also creating a restriction. You may also want to replace this hose alltogether while youre at it with the correct size fuel hose.

Edited by Mr.Roboto

i suppose you could use something like this.... http://shop1.actinicexpress.co.uk/shops/Rat_Sport/images/catalog/Hose_Adapter.JPG that could be sold at your local hardware store or automotive store. But all this stuff is also creating a restriction also you may also just replace this hose alltogether while youre at it with the correct size hose

Thats the thing. I would love to replace the hose but the fuel pump is made for a 1/2 hose. Is that the case for your pump too?

Do you have a stock pump? Also you can always bring your hose down to the local parts store and ask for a generic Fram fuel filter that will fit. You don't have to worry about PSI because your not creating any yet. Also it might be a good time to replace the hose and flush your gas tank while you have it apart, never know when the next time you'll be under there.

Well if you had your tank proffessionally cleaned and its spotless and new inside then there shouldnt really be a need for that filter. I am not using this setup currently, I used it after I did a backyard cleaning of the tank so it wouldn't clog the tiny filter inside the fuel pump. I guess your aftermarket fuel pump may have a bigger inlet. People recommend the g3 because it almost snaps into place with the 3/8th connections. As for filters most are 5/16 or 3/8ths.

Edited by Mr.Roboto

• Administrators

Just be sure whatever filter you use is "free-flowing" and will not pose any restriction or you will end up with the pump cavitating, severely shortening its life.

I do not suggest installing any reducer in the low pressure fuel line either, same reason as above.