HybridZ

72 240z w/ Bone Stock L24 won't crank

I have a 1972 240z with a stock L24 that will not crank over. I'm going to be doing an RB25 swap into it soon but I am kind of busy at the moment so I won't be able to do the swap for another week or two. I thought it would be cool to try and get it running because it looks great and a lot of friends and family would like to see the stocker running. I have zero experience with the L series engine (my 280z didn't have an engine in it before the swap). When I turn the ignition, all I hear is a clicking sound and nothing else. The engine does not even attempt to turn over. I read the beginners thread above and tried to clean the battery terminals and even put a new battery out of my 280z, same result. I'm not looking to spend a lot to get this engine running, but if it is just some little thing then I would like to fix it. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Ok, got it to start and idle. Took it around the block and it is belching out a lot of white smoke from the exhaust.

It was a lot of white smoke. The car has been sitting for a long time I heard without being started. What do you guys think?

Edited by jakeoster

"Sounds" like a head gasket.

Check coolant level. Pull spark plugs and compare. Look for a clean plug, possibly indicating the bad cylinder(s). Look into the cylinders with a flash light to view the tops of the pistons ( may have to turn crank). The "cleaner" one(s) are generaly the ones that are blown.

Or a compression test will work.

I pulled out the plugs to do a compression check and the number six cylinder is leaking coolant out of the spark plug hole. None of the others are doing this. Would that indicate that number six is the bad cylinder?

Edited by jakeoster

Pulled the head and snapped one of the head bolts in the process. Luckily there is enough of it sticking out for me to get some vise grips on it and get that sucker out of there. Everything looks to be fine, the head gasket was indeed blown right next to the number six cylinder.

I believe a new head gasket ($17.99), head bolt ($2 lifted from junk yard), oil filter, and oil change are in order. Not too bad.

Edited by jakeoster