HybridZ

Steering Rack looseness

hello hybridz, I've had a minor issue that turned into a larger one last weekend at the track, the steering rack (inner tie rods) are loose on my passenger side, I can move it around under the boot on the steering rack by hand, and when your cornering at high rates of speed and putting lots of pressure on the tires and steering for grip it shakes and hops and its coming from the steering racks inner parts being loose.

My question is, that I heard you cant really replace the inner tie rods because of the way they are put in, also no-one seems to sell Inner tie rods, furthering my thoughts that I just need to replace the rack. Or is there a way to fix this without replacing the rack?

I have taken my inner tie rod joints apart and inspected them.  There is a spring loaded ball inside them.  Maybe you can take them apart to see if they are worn or if they can be repaired somehow.  It's possible just the spring is shot, but if there is any wear, don't use them.  A rack rebuild service is available from rockauto for just over $200 that should include the new inner joints. 

Edited by cygnusx1