HybridZ

LT1 Conversion

Danno, I'm going to be in Berthoud sometime next week or the first of the following. Might drive the Z if your interested in seeing it. Probably last roadtrip for awhile. Car is due for surgery. When I get closer to my work date I can confirm the location and time. Maybe we could meet before you head to work? I'm usually at the site by 6AM.

John

Guest RyalC

I am SLOWLY wink.gif transplanting a '94 LT1 and T56 into a '73 240Z. Along with the transplant the entire suspension is being modifed as well. Right now the car is nothing but a body shell!

RyalC

Thanks for the reply. I think you and I are it for the LT1 conversion. There is a guy

out in CA who I know has done the LT1 conversion with the T56. My email address

is above. If you don't mind I would like yours, I need to ask you some questions.

Thanks

Danno74Z

Guest Anonymous

Andy Craig at Dando's did up a maroon one. I don't know what kind of tranny they used, but it's very pretty. I saw it sitting oustide Dando's yesterday. Check out the custom radiator duct work it's got.

Guest Anonymous

I have been driving my lt-1 powered Z for about three years. Have engine and auto trans from 93 Z-28. Factory manual was indespensible for me in doing the swap. Car is a blast to drive on the track or going to get groceries (an excuse to go out late on the weekends looking for suckers). Mark

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I am looking for a Z car to put an LT1 in. Ok, I'm looking for an LT1 hopefully with a T56 too. Anyone have leads on entire drivetrains / LT1+T56 combos with accessories? Incidentally, about what did you guys pay for yours? I wanna get an idea so I don't let myself get reamed. Did you have any problems getting this setup to go into your Z?

- Rob

( rmacmorran@yahoo.com )

Guest Anonymous

I'm doing a '94 LT1/700R4 swap into a '78 280z. I'm just about finished with the wiring, and I'm about to start on the exhaust. It fits in there great, I'm anxious to finish. I'd like to hear how yours is going.

Rob,

I purchased both engine and transmission from a company in Texas. The LT1 and T56 are both out of a Camaro 95 and 96 respectively. Plan on spending about $2500 for the engine ( engine, computer, wire harness, and all accessories) and $1500 for the transmission ( transmission, clutch, bellhousing, and flywheel). I don't think you will have a difficult time finding a good used LT1 but the T56 transmission

is another story. I called High Performance Salvage in Texas and Mark said he has a waiting list going

for the T56. This is naturally only one source but I have a feeling this transmission is in very high demand

across the country, Look at our group! If you can wait, Mark is an extremely nice person and very conscientious he does not sell junk. Both items came to me spotless and well crated.

Brian is ahead of me in the conversion process. Engine and tranny are at the moment waiting to go into the

Z. I made a resolution to upgrade the suspension and brakes before I put a 300hp motor into a 25 year old

car. The body and paint on my car is in great shape but I want to clean and paint the engine compartment

before I put the V8 in. I'm also planning on this project to take me two years to complete because of other commitments. At the moment, I'm rebuilding the rearend (new urethane bushings, CV axles, LSD, and coilovers). The brakes are still ??? drums or disks in the rear. Any suggestions from the group.

Danno74Z

Guest Anonymous

I have seen some yards that sell LT-1 and T56 together with all accessories... For about what you quoted. I am under the impression that there are two major versions of the T56; are the stock and Borg Warner versions different?

Also, when you say computer and harness, is there a lot of modification you have to do to the harness (i.e. is the computer normally mounted inside the car, far away from the engine, or is it mounted on the firewall or some such and just plugs in?)

Thanks for helping with all my questions!

Rob,

Go to these two sites for additional information on the T56:

http://www.hpsalvage.com/

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/BorgWarner/bwt56.html

Between these two sites all your questions on the tranny should be answered.

You are correct, there are two if not more versions of the T56. The gear ratios are different and I believe the lengths are also different.

On the Camaro the ECM (computer) is on the passenger side firewall inside the engine compartment. It's housed in an alum. case - very heavy duty.

Danno74Z

• 3 years later...

Well this is a old a post but it sure would be nice to have a couple email friends that are doing the same upgrade as me...

I have a 280Z, 90% body restore, 90% interior 100% suspension done.

Just brought a 95 Camero home and saw-zawed the front off, motor ready to come out as soon as my brother gets here with the motor puller.

So if u are interested email me...

Terry Steenhagen

Grand Rapids Michigan

steenhagens@triton.net :P

My 73 240z has a 95 LT1 and T56 completed and running for the last two and half years, sweet ride, currently being repainted, with some body mods and the engine heads being ported and polished. Available to answer as many questions as I can for those interested or considering the swap. As well as those who are still tinkering with the while I am at it syndrome! Or sufferring from the what if episodes! In the words of Mike Knell JTR Fame! " But you would have to be crazy to do all of that! "

In my humble opinion, the key is to make the power change without adversely affecting the weight and handling of the Z. Then to improve on the basic performance envelope to accomodate the increased power for better handling, stopping at higher speeds. :twisted:

I just happened to visit HybridZ after a long hiatus and boy things have changed! All for the better. "The one constant is all the great folks on this board." When I wrote that original question we were at 80 members or so now we are well into the thousands - unbelievable to say the least. My car is still not done but that is my fault. I'm still going to finish it but other things (life) derailed me a bit. I got laid off last year like I'm sure many other members have and decided to go into a new field, which required additional schooling. I love aviation (everybody has a passion) so even at an advanced age I decided to get my A & P certificate. I've been a Landscape Architect, a Test Process Engineer for a high tech company and now hopefully an A&P mechanic in about 6 months. Definitely my last career change for me! One last note. If your not happy with your profession it is never too late to try something new. You may have to start over but that is OK!

The desire to work on my Z has returned and I thank this board for that.

Everybody have a Wonderful Christmas Season and Happy New Year!

Danno74Z

Danno: I've saved several posts from you over the years (I save a lot of posts from Hybrid for future reference) so it was interesting for me to hear of your career change. Way back in the early '80s I graduated from Colorado Aero Tech (I think the name has changed) with my A&P license. The industry was going through major upheaval then and after a year working at the Piper dealer at Jeffco airport, I decided to move on to something else (it took several years to pay off the student loan from getting my A&P--live and learn). I still love planes but ended up going into higher ed as a career counselor at the University of Denver. (I know, there is some humor in all of this. :D ) I continue to love my job as a career counselor but I always feel a little twinge when I see an airplane. With all the jobs moving offshore, career changing seems to be an ever-increasing phenomenon. I try to get the 18-22 year old students to understand that life will likely involve several career changes or shifts. Anyway, I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your new career direction.

John

:roll: Danno I hope you are headed in the direction of general or cororate aviation. I work for a major carrier and the current outlook is not so good unless your interrested in working crazy shifts for 12 dollars an hour. As far as lt1 swaps go my tomahawk is currently getting a heart transplant with a t56 backing it up. currently playing around with the headers and wiring.. its starting to look pretty cool. well good luck with your carreer change.. :twisted:

I have a 71 Z with a 95 LT1 and T56 all hooked up with the stock wireing harness and LT1 Edit to take out the security chip. I am just waiting for some exhaust parts. It has the ususal disk brake upgrades, shocks etc too.

Fabricated a nice mount for the rear of the t56 that uses the stock mounting rubber and mounts up inside the tunnel rather than across the floor pan too.

Mike

TheBrit

Could you take some pictures of that trans mount and post them for us to see. I'm not using a T56 but I've been contemplating a similar setup to what you describe and any ideas would be useful.

I've been looking at the stock Datsun transmission mounts in my 73 240Z and want to weld in a piece that duplicates the raised section that wraps around the tunnel. The ears that the cross member bolts to would then be welded to that. This would let me use the stock cross member if it will fit, I think the tunnel narrows down toward the back. Anyway I haven't fabricated any of this yet as I'm still gathering parts. What do you think? I suppose I could always section the cross member if I have to.

This is probably more work than it's worth, but I just don't like the way the JTR crossmember bolts to the floor.

Ken W.