HybridZ

exhaust fumes fading tail light... need solution!

Bahraini240z

I just realised that this thing is serious and has a quick effect on the left tail light. You may notice it starting on the reverse lamp where it starts to turn brownish and then the Red starts to turn darker and darker.

This issue is most found on carburated Inline 6 with a single ehxaust line existing from the left side (OEM location) and so far I have been thinking of the following solutions:

- Fitting a rear muffler with longer tips (most sensible solution)

- Locate the exhaust to the middle (destroys the oem look and puts u into the fighter mode)

- Change the left tail light every 6 months (WTH!!!)

- Swap to a proper EFI engine ($$$)

Looking for further suggestions and pics of you exhaust tips and some feedback please :)

some tips of how to maintain the lights is also appreciated.

p.s. This is a sample of an affected Z

3475410006_large.jpg

Yes, this is a very common problem. If it is on the outside as the picture appears frequent cleanings is the solution.It has been a while but I think I used a Power Ball buffer and a plastic cleaner. However, if the coloration is getting on the inside of the lens then you need to check the seals where the bulbs go in. Or the seals where the colored lens and the back come together. The latter would be unlikely.

Thanks man

The problem is that I hate long tips.. So, I want to know how further do I need to extend them (minimum extension)?

Oh yeah, another thing, the tail light becomes really hot after a 20-min drive (specially in summer). I was shocked when I touched it! Even the left side of the bumper was hot!

Edited by Bahraini240z

You can always have the exhaust exit through a modified tunnel under the driver or passenger's seat and out the rocker panel area...

true... but I will end up with many burnt jeans and Puma shoes :P

I would prefer to stick with oem exit path... I would like to see pics of those tips that have not got this issue to understand how long do I need to extend them

Thanks