HybridZ

MegaSquirt for stock 280Z NA.. No or Yes?

phantaz

Hello all, Ive read thorugh several pages of posts and couldnt really find the specific answer to my question. not suprising.. SO MUCH INFO =0)

Would MS be worth the time and effort to buy, install, test, tune and eventually run a NA z motor with stock injection? No big turbos or crazy aftermarket fuel injector system. I just want to be able to bypass the big problem of the stock Bosch system. THat afm flapper and stock ECU just doestn seem to be readily hotrodded, tuned or work with aftermarket upgrades like larger injectors, or pushing more fuel pressure. From my understanding it just wont read the new info correctly to help.

Im a big believer of "if its not broke dont monkey with it" =) And my z starts fine.. idles fine adn pulls hard.. for a stock motor. Everything ive gleened from this site tells me the only " Real" performce upgrade i can get from the stock system is a good header and exhaust system and a hotter Cam.

i would like the option of possible going to a turbo setup at somepoint in the future ( read 3or more years)if i can find a turbo head and turbo system for decent price but until then. i would like to increase air and fuel delivery with the hotter cam adn exhaust. i have a figure of 250hp from the NA system.. at least im hoping that a reasonalbe figure.. 300hp is my goal later with bored out and head work done when i can afford it.

SO back to the question.. would MS be feasible for say, a winter project to get away from the limitations of the stock system or should i wait until i need to really change stuff when and if i go turbo.???

that afm really really annoys me.. ive done the "Tune" on the spring tension on it already and it helped a bit but i have a big throat throttle body set up with bored out intake throat to help airflow and would like to use that but im thinking hte AFM would make it pretty much useless. please please correct me if im wrong.

thanks for any comments and sorry for such a basic question but i think a few people might be interested in this as well.

• Like 1

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I am basically thinking of doing the exact same thing. So, I would like to thank you for asking the question.

I am not sure you will be able to get that much HP without upping the compression, which probably wouldn't be such a hot idea if you are planning on going turbo. Although, I could be wrong.

I was able to build, install and have my car running on Megasquirt in about a month over the winter. Just do your home work and you'll be fine. I also used the relay board and it made wiring extremely easy. I started with fuel first and ran the factory distributor for the year, the following winter I switched the spark system to EDIS. I had that on the car for two years and then this winter I took the plunge and swapped my head for a P90 and a z31 turbocharger. Megasquirt has been the BEST thing that has happened to my car and has been an awesome experience to install. This year we will be fuel injecting my brothers 1952 chevy car he's restoring and my father is now wanting to do it on his 1969 Camaro when its ready to be road worthy again.

So I would say do it because you won't regret it once its all said and done. I'd say its also nice (but not necessary) to learn how to tune Megasquirt on a non turbo car first, less chance of things going boom that way.

I'm currently running MS fuel only on a '75 280Z. When I went to a stage III cam, I really didn't have a choice but to ditch the OE FI system. I also bought all the EDIS stuff, but plan on going straight to sequential/COP when more MS3 units are available.

In deciding whether to install MS, you should consider your ultimate performance goals. A performance L6 is an expensive build and only a few guys on here eclipse 250hp - and I think one of those is running triples. If you don't ever plan to rebuild your engine or install a performance cam, you might save both money and headache by not bothering with MS.

My MS install was actually pretty easy. Tuning was the more challenging part. I used the stock wiring and mounted my MS box in the same place the OE FI box is located. You just use the FI wiring diagram from the Bible to find out which wires are which. The wires at the OE FI box are numbered too, which made things really simple.

Since I did a top end rebuild at the same time as the MS install, I can't tell you what improvement you can get by MS alone on a stock engine. To answer your last question, if you do decide to go MS, I would install it and have it running before you do any other major engine work. For example, you might get a little nervous (as I was) when you are supposed to break in your cam (15 min. @ 2K revs) at the same time you are trying to figure out how to get MS started and running well enough to tune.

I used the stock wiring and mounted my MS box in the same place the OE FI box is located. You just use the FI wiring diagram from the Bible to find out which wires are which. The wires at the OE FI box are numbered too, which made things really simple.

My cars a little different, but still uses the old Bosch System, so this is what I did to mine to use the original wiring to connect to my MS II.

Nigel

post-2090-053299000 1277707319_thumb.jpg

Im a big believer of "if its not broke dont monkey with it" =)

This is a pretty good place to start. You will not see any huge gains by switching. It WILL run smoother, get a bit better mileage, easier starting and it should be more reliable (because it is newer)

Collect your parts (the small stuff) Prepare a plan for the install, then WAIT for your FI system to breakdown. Seriously. It is not worth it unless you have a problem with the FI. At this point it is just a "make work" type project. A good project, but a "make work" project none the less.

I'm a recovering "while I'm at it" junkie, so take what you want from this.

Scott.

As far as Megasquirting a stock engine, It is not difficult at all. I am considering building S30 Megasquirt standalone harnesses, as when I built mine it took me about 4 hours to go from having nothing at all to a complete harness, Including the time I spent in the junkyard harvesting connectors, and the time it took me to figure out how to disassemble all those connectors, remove the old wiring, solder in new wiring, and then rout it through the firewall.

I've been meaning to write up a complete MS-harness-sticky for the forums here, complete with wire lengths and stuff. PM me if you want/need help building the whole harness.

Thanks for the quick replies.. one of the reasons i luv this site.

In no particular order but hopeful covers the replies and questions..

I do plan on uppin the compression a little. i have a n42 head which i have had shaved and put on a mr.gasket metal gasket. i have the motorsport double spring kit with a mild cam already installed also. if i go turbo i realize i will have to swap heads and go lower compression. i plan on running a rear mounted turbo set up if i do it, so dont need the turboheader. hard to find and spendy anyways.

im lookin for mostly a slow steady and plenty of time outlook on the MS. im reading the forums on there more and more but finding ones that are just aobut replacin the stock system is kinda hard to find.

headers and hotter cam are what i would like have by next summer and that why im thinkin of the MS while i have the top end apart. and since i have the big throat throttle body and matched intake, that also i would like done. but as Datsun Deron mentioned a few changes and get it running right sounds like the smart thing. but if the system is straight forward enough.. which is why im askin on here, the tuning part regardless of the changes?? is going to be the hard part. not really the installation?

TennesseeJed?? which Bible do you speak of? Datsun service manuel?MS installation guide? or the basic Lord help me through this Bible? or all 3?? lol

headers adnd cam dont seem to be the dramatic change that would mess the stock system up but the big throat/intake is kinda useless with the AFM currently on it.

So FIRST. headers and cam installed on stock system.. should be an afternoon actually.. done the cam thing a few times already =)

Second. Get the MS runing and tuned on that .. then upgrading to the big throat/intake.. maybe bigger cc injectors while at . Retest and tune.

Third. big bore. i have a set of pistons i bought several years ago from someone on here to go from 2.8 to 3.0.

That might fall into the " While im at" syndrom.. my and ZR8ED can go to rehab together i guess...

Basically im trying to be realistic on how and when i do this.. i cant spend 10K on my car on my current budget and not a mechanic/machinest who sometimes run into deals or swaps . im thinkg 250-300 horse with basic shadetree wrenchin and some electronic knowhow and reading a WHOLE LOT this might be possible.

once again thanks for the replies and suggestions..

keep em coming.. lord knows i need the help/motivation or that sudden lightbulb over my head to go off =)

sorry for being long winded.. going to get banned for writing novels on here =)

Xnke might be my new personal hero.. Wiring harness for Dummies might be a best seller on here.

MS seems to be the most logical chioce for me for price and info on hte net about it so a harness guide would make my life imeasurable easier..

ive installed stereos for a living in my younger days and back then.. you ahad to make your own harnesses sometimes and

that was a pain with no one else to refer too.

TennesseeJed?? which Bible do you speak of? Datsun service manuel?MS installation guide? or the basic Lord help me through this Bible? or all 3?? lol

I was referring to the EFI Bible which can be found pinned in the Troubleshooting Section. Though a few prayers and hymns before you turn the key might help as well.