HybridZ

T04E or T04B?

jacob80

Hey guys,

I just picked up a Turbonetics T3/T4 but I can't decipher whether its a T04B or T04E. I have a 2.5" inlet and a 2" outlet. If you need any more information off the turbo, just holler. I don't see any A/R stamping either. I'm really praying that it is a T04E. For reference, I'm looking to make a reliable 350hp. I am running the stock cam and exhaust manifold and will be utilizing an internal wastegate witha 2.5" down pipe going to a 3" exhaust after that.

Are these numbers possible? I've read numerous things about stage X Y and Z wheels, compressor housings, etc etc. Would a straight bolt on application not be recommended here?

Thanks guys!

Edited by jacob80

Hey guys,

I just picked up a Turbonetics T3/T4 but I can't decipher whether its a T04B or T04E. I have a 2.5" inlet and a 2" outlet. If you need any more information off the turbo, just holler. I don't see any A/R stamping either. I'm really praying that it is a T04E. For reference, I'm looking to make a reliable 350hp. I am running the stock cam and exhaust manifold and will be utilizing an internal wastegate witha 2.5" down pipe going to a 3" exhaust after that.

Are these numbers possible? I've read numerous things about stage X Y and Z wheels, compressor housings, etc etc. Would a straight bolt on application not be recommended here?

Thanks guys!

well, a little more to it than measuring a 2.5" inlet and 2" outlet. Plus E's and B's come in various trims which greatly affects the performance. And the turbine (hot side) is just as important.

you need to take it apart to get good measurements.

FYI, stock cams will work best with a stock 280zxt turbine (t3, ar 0.63)

Thats what I was thinking as far as the cam. So in other words, if I choose to stick with the stock cam, you would recommend using the stock Nissan T3 turbine wheel, or the whole turbine housing and wheel assembly?

I was told it is a 50 trim, also. Forgot to mention that.

Edited by jacob80

Thats what I was thinking as far as the cam. So in other words, if I choose to stick with the stock cam, you would recommend using the stock Nissan T3 turbine wheel, or the whole turbine housing and wheel assembly?

I was told it is a 50 trim, also. Forgot to mention that.

well, a "50 trim" indicates it is a T04E compressor. The T04B come in H,S, and V trims. You will know if it is T04E compressor when you try to mount it. The t04B fits without a spacer and the t04E requires a 1/2 inch spacer.

Yes, I recommend using the stock T3 housing and wheel with a stock cam. The quick boost and restriction at the higher rpms matches the stock cam well. FYI, a stock turbine will do well with 3 inch exhaust.

15 psi of boost with get you about 250hp at the wheels (300hp crank) with a stock cam and cylinder head. 20 psi to get 300hp at the wheels or 354hp crank

I also recommend that you use a NA cam from a 75 to 80 L28. Worth a few more ponies and a few more rpms. (270 rwhp at 15 psi with another 500 rpms of usable rpms)

My goal 350hp for this setup, and I would like to do this with the stock cam.

It is an '83 L28ET rebuilt with stock components.

Is this possible, or am I looking at some serious head/manifold porting to acquire these numbers? Unfortunately, my adapter I have just purchased only allows for a 2.5" down pipe, but the rest will be 3"

My goal 350hp for this setup, and I would like to do this with the stock cam.

It is an '83 L28ET rebuilt with stock components.

Is this possible, or am I looking at some serious head/manifold porting to acquire these numbers? Unfortunately, my adapter I have just purchased only allows for a 2.5" down pipe, but the rest will be 3"

350hp at the crank is possible with 20 psi of boost, stock cam, and stock head. in theory, you would need to run 26.5 psi of boost on an otherwise stock L28 turbo engine to make 350hp at the wheels.

So, to run a more reasonable amount of boost, you will need more cam, some head work, and more rpms to get 350hp at the wheels. And a setup like this would need a non-stock exhaust turbine (like a T3 stage 3 or 5) which makes full boost later (3500 rpms) and makes power out to 6500 or even 7000 rpms.

or maybe lower your goals a little. run a msa turbo stage 1 cam, stage 3 t3 turbine, to4e-50 trim compressor, DIY bowl smoothing around the valves seats, a bar and plate IC, run 17 psi of boost, and make around 300-315hp at the wheels (360-375 crank).

310 rwhp in a 3000lb car is good for 110 mph trap speed in the 1/4 mile which should be a low to mid 12 second run with good traction.

At this point, I'm not going to get heavy into upping my cam and turbine wheel, so maybe I'll just stick with the stock NIssan Turbine wheel on my (hopefully) T04E.

I would like to run high 11's. I weighed my car at 2450 lbs with me in it.

At this point, I'm not going to get heavy into upping my cam and turbine wheel, so maybe I'll just stick with the stock NIssan Turbine wheel on my (hopefully) T04E.

I would like to run high 11's. I weighed my car at 2450 lbs with me in it.

310wrhp in a 2450 pound car (with driver) would trap at 117.5 mph which is good for a mid to high 11. But traction will be an issue.

Thats plenty fast for me. Hell, the way it is now even scares me in some ways, but I would like more power.

My goal here is to get 350hp at the wheels while keeping the stock cam and internals reliably. Luckily, I have a very good Megasquirt tuner (Scott Clark) locally that I can rely on.

Additionally, I'm sure there are other components to this that could put me right at 350hp such as methanol spray. What are your thoughts?

As far as the turbo, like I said (from what you've said), I'll be installing the Nissan Turbine wheel and housing (assuming the Turbonetics housing isn't the same) which matches the stock Nissan Cam much better. I would also like do some manifold porting and port matching to move more air.

boost is a hp multiplier

14.7 psi of boost will double hp.

if you add 14.7 psi to an engine that makes 175hp off boost then it will make (in theory) 350hp.

I figure a stock turbo engine with 7.4:1 cr and a cam with only 240 degrees of duration makes about 125hp at the wheels without boost. add 15 psi of boost and make 250

Add a stock NA cam with 248 degrees and do a little head work to get 140 hp, then add 15 psi and make 280

add a bigger msa turbo stage 1 (260 degree) and get 150hp , add the 15 psi and get 300.

use the pressure ratio and the hp multiplier. (14.7 + boost)/ 14.7

so if you start out with only 125hp then you will need to use lots of boost to get to 350.

boost is a hp multiplier

14.7 psi of boost will double hp.

if you add 14.7 psi to an engine that makes 175hp off boost then it will make (in theory) 350hp.

I figure a stock turbo engine with 7.4:1 cr and a cam with only 240 degrees of duration makes about 125hp at the wheels without boost. add 15 psi of boost and make 250

Add a stock NA cam with 248 degrees and do a little head work to get 140 hp, then add 15 psi and make 280

add a bigger msa turbo stage 1 (260 degree) and get 150hp , add the 15 psi and get 300.

use the pressure ratio and the hp multiplier. (14.7 + boost)/ 14.7

so if you start out with only 125hp then you will need to use lots of boost to get to 350.

Seems logical. My thought process is that if I ever were to consider an aftermarket cam, I would have one ground for my specific turbo and be done with it.

I want to stretch this turbo as far as I can with the stock cam. I've done some thinking and now believe I may want to throw in a turbo-specific cam in the future to match my exhaust side (whatever that may be, I think its a .68 housing on the hot side). Like I said, 350hp reliably in a 2450lb S30 is plenty of power and satisfaction for me and I have no ambition of exceeding this number with this specific motor/car combination.

With my T3/To4E turbo I managed to make 385 rwhp and 390 lbs of Tq @ 20psi on pump gas. My turbo specs are as follows. Compressor side is a To4E with a 50 trim wheel. Exhaust side is a T3- .63 housing with a stage 3 wheel. I ported the exhaust housing to match the gasket as the opening was much smaller. Other things that have been done to help achieve this is ported the stock Exhaust manifold, Non turbo "A" cam, port matched head 3" exhaust and a conservative tune. It was good enough to net 11.8@120mph in the 1/4 with a crappy 1.8 60ft. So far I LOVE the 50 trim turbo.. I get full 20psi at around 32-3400rpms and it comes on nice and strong, but is not uncontrollable. Good luck with your build and yeah 350rwhp in a 2400lb car will ROCK OUT!.