HybridZ

Fuel Pump Issues (Airtex E8312)

I replaced my factory fuel pump with an Airtex E8312 fuel pump I got from AutoZone. The pumps fits perfect but now I'm having idle problems. I have tried to make adjustments by adjusting the distributor and adjusting the idle adjust screw. Neither works. The car runs but black smoke is coming from the exhaust which (to me) seems as though too much fuel is being pumped.

Can anyone tell what I can do to solve this?

I had problems with this Airtex pump from AutoZone and took it back. I ended up buying a Walbro 255lph and it worked great. AutoZone gave me a hard time as I had run fuel through it and I got into a heated verbal fight with the Manager, they said that they would not refund my money as it was "used" and had run fuel through it..it got ugly.

Yasin

I replaced my factory fuel pump with an Airtex E8312 fuel pump I got from AutoZone. The pumps fits perfect but now I'm having idle problems. I have tried to make adjustments by adjusting the distributor and adjusting the idle adjust screw. Neither works. The car runs but black smoke is coming from the exhaust which (to me) seems as though too much fuel is being pumped.

Can anyone tell what I can do to solve this?

What engine? "Idle adjust" implies an EFI motor.

Your fuel pressure regulator might be bad. The original fuel pump has a bypass that kicks in at about 43 psi, which is close to the regulator target of 36 +/-. I think that the Airtex will pump up to 90 or 100 psi. Your new pump might be exposing a bad regulator.

What engine? "Idle adjust" implies an EFI motor.

Your fuel pressure regulator might be bad. The original fuel pump has a bypass that kicks in at about 43 psi, which is close to the regulator target of 36 +/-. I think that the Airtex will pump up to 90 or 100 psi. Your new pump might be exposing a bad regulator.

The engine is L28E and is EFI. After reading your response I went out this morning and checked to see if I had a fuel pressure regulator on my spare engine. I there it was. After I pull it off and went to replace the original regualator and found that the previous owner had a clap on the line leading to the regulator. I removed the clap and started the car with no problem. Because I had adjusted the idle the day before, it idle very high. So again, I adjust the idle to 700rpm and the car runs great.

I think when the OEM fuel pump bypass went bad the previous owner used a clap to regulator the pressure. Thanks for the help.

The engine is L28E and is EFI. After reading your response I went out this morning and checked to see if I had a fuel pressure regulator on my spare engine. I there it was. After I pull it off and went to replace the original regualator and found that the previous owner had a clap on the line leading to the regulator. I removed the clap and started the car with no problem. Because I had adjusted the idle the day before, it idle very high. So again, I adjust the idle to 700rpm and the car runs great.

I think when the OEM fuel pump bypass went bad the previous owner used a clap to regulator the pressure. Thanks for the help.

That's too easy. Almost not fair. I think that you should take it off and put it back on just to feel like you earned it.

That's too easy. Almost not fair. I think that you should take it off and put it back on just to feel like you earned it.

Yeah, that was way too easy! The only hard part was recognizing the clap, it almost seemed like it belong there. This morning, I drove to the golf course with absolutely no problems.