HybridZ

Need help with part ID

My MSA Front/Rear strut bars arrived in the mail yesterday for my 1978 280z. I got the rear installed last night (Looks like a really solid part, great fitment, appears to be of high quality), and it didn't take more then half an hour. Today I moved on to the front strut bar and I ran into a small problem. Where the bar mounts up to the passenger side strut there's some (appears to be electrical) piece in the way. It looks like something I could modify/relocate but I'm not even sure what it is. Any help ID'ing the part, and any ideas on how I should go about modifying it would be great.

It's the lower left cylindrical piece, to the right/above the top of the strut.

StrutPartpaint.jpg

Edited by 10cjennings

Magnet valves for vacuum regulation of various emissions, heating, and A/C controls. Dropping it down further on the strut would be the most expedient thing to do so you clear the bar...

Magnet valves for vacuum regulation of various emissions, heating, and A/C controls. Dropping it down further on the strut would be the most expedient thing to do so you clear the bar...

Just drilled another hole in its mounting plate so that it got spaced off the strut tower another inch or so.

The strut bar dropped right in, taking the car out on it's first drive I'd say there's a definitely noticeable difference in the front end responsiveness when pushing it hard in the corners. Even with my basically stock set-up. I'm sure as more suspension upgrades are installed the added stiffness will be more significant. For $120/each I'd say these definitely aren't the suspension upgrades which will give you the biggest improvement for your dollar (Bang/Buck), but if you're planning on doing a large amount of suspension upgrades (as I'm currently getting into) these are parts I'd definitely add to the list.

Edited by 10cjennings

That all depends on how much a windshield costs to replace...

Without the front triangulation (and lacking a roll bar) hooking hard in a corner resulted in a cracked windshield for me...

Didn't occur after the strut bar install, and with stickier tires and more rear grip to boot! The front really feels 'tied together' with them up there. One triangulated to the firewall is even a better feeling.

It's hard to sell stock save on crispness of turn in, but push some torque and you can literally feel the front end twist around when you're on the power hard coming off a corner! (Kaaa-RAAACK! :blink: )

That all depends on how much a windshield costs to replace...

Without the front triangulation (and lacking a roll bar) hooking hard in a corner resulted in a cracked windshield for me...

Didn't occur after the strut bar install, and with stickier tires and more rear grip to boot! The front really feels 'tied together' with them up there. One triangulated to the firewall is even a better feeling.

It's hard to sell stock save on crispness of turn in, but push some torque and you can literally feel the front end twist around when you're on the power hard coming off a corner! (Kaaa-RAAACK! :blink: )

Good to know, I'll definitely consider a triagulated bar. Though That's all coming after the complete bushing replacement.

Phar