HybridZ

The "new" LeMons race car has been painted!

ww

wow great to see a z in the lemons. A few friends and I were also interested in this race but decided not to compete because of money issue. (Didnt know want to invest in race suits and professionally built rollcage) Well Good luck in the Lemons race!

That car looks way too nice to be a LeMons car.

Unfortunately, it's nearly a totally stripped rust bucket that was given to us for free. The paint looks WAY better in pictures than in person. The car was originally red already so we just scraped off the edges of the flaking clear coat and sprayed over it and the rest of the rust that's holding this thing together. It's got no drive train and only came with an intake manifold, a pair of SU's and a radiator. Virtually every interior part is missing with the exception of the dash and pedal assembly and it's completely impractical to restore, so it's gonna get raced.

To save money, we're going to use the drive train, wheels, tires and roll cage from my 280ZX LeMons car that was totaled in May. We had to cut the roof off of the 280ZX to get the cage out and we obviously had to cut the roof off the 240Z to get the cage back in and re-weld the roof on when we were done. It did give us a chance to re-weld the cage to make sure it's totally safe.

We've now got 4 weeks to get the driveline transplanted, all the wiring done and get the alignment string boxed. It's going to be a fun month of late nights after work!

Unfortunately, it's nearly a totally stripped rust bucket that was given to us for free. The paint looks WAY better in pictures than in person. The car was originally red already so we just scraped off the edges of the flaking clear coat and sprayed over it and the rest of the rust that's holding this thing together. It's got no drive train and only came with an intake manifold, a pair of SU's and a radiator. Virtually every interior part is missing with the exception of the dash and pedal assembly and it's completely impractical to restore, so it's gonna get raced.

To save money, we're going to use the drive train, wheels, tires and roll cage from my 280ZX LeMons car that was totaled in May. We had to cut the roof off of the 280ZX to get the cage out and we obviously had to cut the roof off the 240Z to get the cage back in and re-weld the roof on when we were done. It did give us a chance to re-weld the cage to make sure it's totally safe.

We've now got 4 weeks to get the driveline transplanted, all the wiring done and get the alignment string boxed. It's going to be a fun month of late nights after work!

You call that a rust bucket? I guess it's clear I'm from the north east. I wish my car was even nearly that solid.

You call that a rust bucket? I guess it's clear I'm from the north east. I wish my car was even nearly that solid.

HAHA!! Well, you're right, we have a different perspective on the definition of "Rust Bucket" out here in the saltless streets of sunny California.

• 1 month later...

Well, the results are in. After having run as high as 6th place, some non-mechanical problems in the last 30 minutes of the race resulted in us finishing 11th overall out of 121 cars. Still a respectable finish (my highest finish in 7 events!).

To top things off, the car was signed by Pete Brock at last weekends Historic Races at Laguna Seca!

It's going to be hard to change the paint now that it's been "endorsed" by Pete himself! John Morton was going to come over in the afternoon to check it out and put his signature on it, but was interrupted by an unplanned trip to the hospital when he was t-boned by another car and flipped while driving 1 of 3 existing 1958 Scarab race cars!

We'll get him to sign it when he makes his way back up here to NorCal.

Here's a great pic of us "leading the pack" during one of the infrequent yellow flags:

ArseSweat10-350.jpg