HybridZ

Cracks in cylinder head

awoz87

ok so i picked up an l28 to drop into the 240z i bought and shortly after i got it running found out coolant in the oil. i figure its a headgasket and i had a new one laying around so i put it on. got it all back together, and running only to find more coolant in the oil.

now when i had the head off i noticed two small cracks in the dome of the combustion chamber in cyl 4 and 5. they were similar cracks, coming from the valve area and going out the edge. now i know this should have been a huge sign right there but i was hoping it would not be an issue (stupid i know)

what i want to find out though is this definitely the cause of coolant mixing with the oil? or should i be looking somewhere else for that?

• Administrators

Those cracks sound like the tell tale over heated cracks that go through to the water passage. Most guys just scrap the head and find another. It is possible to save the head, if you want to invest the time and money into having it welded and machined, though that can get costly.

Also, please make an effort to capitalize when you post, (it's one of the forum rules). :wink:

Hope that helps.