HybridZ

5 speed tranny flywheel question

dante kester

I'm thinking the 240mm (you could measure it if it's still out of the car). I have a `77 that I'm dropping in a Borg-Warner (5-speed) from an `83 ZX Turbo and know they are the larger 240mm. Regardless, I'd opt for the 240mm anyways as it will still work in your car and provide better holding power over the 225mm.

I'm putting a 5 speed tranny from a 81 n/a 280zx on my '78 280z coupe. I'm not sure if the tranny came off a 2+2 or a coupe. do i use the 225mm or 240mm cliutch/flywheel on my '78?

The size of the clutch/flywheel is not pertinent to the transmission used. You could leave your existing clutch on the car and just swap transmissions, if your current clutch is in good shape.

The part that might (does, in your case I believe) change with the newer transmission is the throwout bearing collar, which determines the angle of the clutch fork. As I understand things, you should get the collar/throwout bearing that was used with the 81 tranny.

By the way, there are probably over a thousand posts on transmission swaps on this and other forums. I'm sure you'll find many more detailed explanations of how to get this done.

You should check your gear ratios too. You're getting a higher first gear ratio will make the car harder to get going from a stop. Could be an issue for a city car (lots of stop and go) or if you live in a hilly area.