HybridZ

Ok I've come to a decission on what color to choose

Hello guys,

Well I have pretty much made up my mind to go with red as the color for my Z. Does anyone know the paint code for the new GMC full size Sierra pick ups? Would this paint be a bc/cc type of paint? I think that will be the direction I go in also. I want to pick a color that will be easy to get (and not be too expensive) in case I have an accident or something and need to repaint. I really like the shade of red on the new GMC's. I will be paying a visit to the paint shop tomorrow to get another quart of DP90LF and want to ask about the red paint so any comments on this matter will be appreciated. I want to look like I know what I'm talking about even though I probably will not. :D

Guest Zachb55

Well, I think thats a great choice but I know very little about what certain color's codes are and layer knowledge so cant help ya there, but since your askin I thought I would too, does anyone know off hand the dark grey color on some ferrari's?!?!?, i think the color of theirs that i like is the background of their website, anyone seen any cars that color?, check it out at www.ferrari.it

Guest Anonymous

You pulled it out of the weeds and dressed it up in black and now when I am getting used to it in the garage .... you wanna go and paint it red! That is a good looking red. The only problem with red is that you might have to cut the top off and make a convertible out of it!

Thanks Racer X, my car was an ugly brown originally so I had to go with something else. I had it narrowed down to a few colors, red, black, silver or Pete Paraska blue ((I just love that dark blue)).

Racer X what would you reccomend for a novice painter? In novice I mean I had never touched a paint gun until just the other day when I began to use primer on my car.

Now I have to say that I am very impressed with the way the primer has layed down so far. I do not have any runs or drips in the etching primer or the DP90 that I applied to my Z.

Would you think that bc/cc is the way for me to go? I do have extensive experience with the old rattle can, and consider myself a WalMart spray can painter extraordinare, lol :D

Oh Tomahawk I almost forgot, yep she does like her new black dress, and the lady loves to lounge around all day in my garage even with half of her parts strewn about here and there. lol tongue.gif But we both know that the little black dress is just a temporary thing.

Have you checked out my home page? You can still catch some of the vintage weed shots there.

Guest Anonymous

Just remember the cops call all bright reds "arrest me red" I'm positive I've read in some auto publication that an accurate survey was done on this subject and "far and a way" red cars get stopped more often.

They couldn't figure how to factor out the "cause and effect syndrome" Do people that purchase bright red cars have a type A agressive personality and are drawn to red cars? Or is it that the red cars draw more attention from law enforcement? But either way there was no doubt that red cars get more citations for whatever reason.

Ok I am about to blow my cover here but no one has ever bothered to ask me what I do for a living but I can't resist this one. smile.gif

I have been a police officer for about 12 years now and I can just say from my experience behind the shield that I do not look for certain color cars or people for that matter. I know that there are a lot of misconceptions about police and just how we do our jobs. We do get a lot of bad press and people tend to dwell on that instead of the good deeds we do every day.

Now having said that, believe me there are bad cops out there just like there are bad mechanics, bad doctors, bad paint and body men etc...Cops are people just like everyone else and come from all types of backgrounds. If a cop stops you because your car is red then he doesn't need to be in the profession, however, if you happen to be doing 75mph in a 40mph zone and you just happen to be driving a red car, don't blame the cop :D

I was looking at Maroons, and a mid 90's Mercedes Benz bright Red (had a bit of a light blue tint to it - kind of neat), but I too didn't want the extra attention that Reds get from the guys behind the radar gun, etc.

I've read the same types of reports as bbbowtie, and although they MIGHT be fabricated, I know that Red cars (and bright yellow ones) attract my attention more than others, so it stands to some reason that the guy behind the radar gun will be more prone to point it at a Red car.

I also considered the charcoal color like SuperDan's car too.

Then I saw the 95-97 Audi A4 "Europa Blue Mica" on a new A4 on a lot and fell in love. BTW, be careful, they used the same name for the 98+ color, but it's a different paint code, if you go that way. Mine's paint code LZ5T and the later one is LZ5K. Oh, thanks for naming the color after me :D .

Anything's better than that brown Datsun used! Even the yellow-green color they used to have (color 112?) would be better than that, IMO (sorry if I offended anyone with a brown Z - just not my cup of tea.)

Yep Pete the brown had to go. It was in really bad shape anyway and red is my fav color.

I just came back from the PPG store where I asked a bunch of questions. The lady there said she would go with a product called "DelStar" single stage acryilic enamel. Racer X have you heard of this and is this a good choice? I inquired about the color "Torch Red" and for the gallon of the DelStar + reducer + hardner would run me about $266.38.

For a two stage Torch Red paint job it would be as much as $600+!!!! ouch!!!! eek2.gif

She said that there was a cheaper paint called "Omni" that they carried but she wouldn't reccomend it. What do yall think?

I f you have the money go for the more exspensive two stage go for it. This way you will not regret it later. I looked around for paint and shops and could have done it cheaper. But am happy that my car is the color I really wanted. Not the color for everyone. I settled for pearl purple metallic.

Mike

Why does Ferrari make it through the backmarkers so much easier than the other teams? Well, when you see that bright red car in your mirrors...you know they're faster, better let 'em by! smile.gif

I knew a link for paint chips online, but there's really no point. You need to get to your shop and look at the chips out under the sun. I wonder how red is gonna look over black DP90? Or are you gonna high-build primer too?

I would go with the 2-stage urethanes, but you'll need another $500 or so for the supplied air system if you chose to do this at home.

Owen

Hi Owen,

Yep I will be using a grey high build primer before the red goes on. I have a few imperfections in my body so I will be busy for a while with those. Yeah the money thing is the big problem for me and yes I will be attempting this job at home so I will probably go with the single stage paint. Thanks

Are single stages safer than double stages? I dont really know myself...but here's some stuff I read which swayed me the the bc/cc side. With AE, I don't think you can sand or buff. What you see is what you get.

"Urethane is user friendly in that it is usually much easier to correct problems but it's less user friendly in that it's more toxic to spray than most other materials. Urethane will hold up better and you can get a harder finish and deeper shine than acrylic enamel. Urethane is usually more expensive than other finishes but you can have a beautiful car more easily using quality urethane rather than other less expensive materials."

"All urethanes are not created equal and some will hold up better than others. Clear urethane seems to be better than single stage as far as UV protection but if you take care of the finish you should see a long life when a quality paint is used and cared for."

Trust me, I know about the cost issue, all of us here do! Sometimes I have to stop myself and say, "this isn't a show car" (or a race car). Haven't been too succesfull at convincing myself though... :rolleyes:

Keep us posted on your progress!

Owen

Guest Anonymous

The only way I could successfully paint a car is with a polyurethane and catalyst hardener for the simple reason I could color sand out my mistakes immediately or within a few hours of painting with a lot of work to overcome my lack of painting skills. Years ago laquer paint finishes were preferred by by do it yourselfers because they could clean up their mistakes until they got the paint "right". So my advice to the fellow in Silver Creek from the character in Fall Creek is to use a type of paint that will allow you to clean up your mistakes and redo it to get it right. A Catalyst hardened polyurethane maybe the answer. I understand that the base color can be somewhat rough since the top clear coat will cover it.There are locations around here where you can rent equipment and a booth to paint in. One of the problems is that a professional low quality paint job can cost about as much as a do-it-yourselfer spends doing it himself.(but gee, I have been giving myself home haircuts for years and they usually turn out good if not two weeks later I take off the hat and re-cut and I guarantee the re-cut will be acceptable for public viewing)

Guest Anonymous

I believe that Delstar has been discontinued and that sweet lady might be trying to get rid of old stock. (now, I don't know that for sure about her she may just be misinformed) I am sure that it's been discontinued, because of EPA demands.

Since the EPA will not let the paint mfg's use lead any longer the price of red paint is three times more expensive than it used to be. Whatever the red pigment they are using must cost a lot. You can prove this for yourself call around and ask the price per gallon of basic white and then ask for any red, Gm ,Ford ,Chrysler it doesn't matter they are all ridculously priced.

And in my earlier post I wasn't knocking police officers for pouncing on red cars. It's kind of like Pete said, he notices red and yellow cars quicker than other colors and so do I. I believe most people do. I think it's psychological and primal especially the red. You know blood gets my attention pretty quick.

Hello Racer X, I have a siphon fed gun I Believe it is a cambell hausfeld but i would have to go and check. Yep the old lady said that she reccomended the Delstar. Discontinued huh...old stock...hmmmm shifty.gif I may have to go back to the Dupont store. I kinda liked that guy a little better anyway. RX can you recommend a dupont product or are you partial to PPG? Also what colors are traditionally the cheapest and which ones will be the easiest to apply by a beginner? I just do not want to spend $600.00(according to the old lady) for my first at home paint job if you know what I mean. I would like to get my feet wet by trying a somewhat cheaper product but one that gives good results :D

I was at the PPG store in Milledgeville this past week picking up my primer etc for my first attempt at real painting and spoke with a rep from the Conyers store named Keith Frank. You need to call or go back by the Conyers store and see him. I told him I was new at this and needed lots of help. He spent at least 40 minutes with me explaining the pros and cons of the various primers and paints and showed me each one and answered basicaly every question I had at the time. When we finished he gave me his card and said if I have ANY questions to call him. He was very knowledgable and he did not try to push any particular product. By the way I live in Douglasville. Maybe we can compare notes some time.

Thanks Georgia Z, yep the lady at our local PPG seemed pretty knowledgeable but somehow I get the feeling she wasn't on the up and up. Especially when I came back on here and told the Hybrid Zers what she had reccomended and just about everyone agreed that the product she tried to push at me was old stuff that isn't even legal to sell anymore!

Yeah I would like to get with someone close by that I could compare notes with and talk about things that I have done or they have done to thier Z that shouldn't be repeated. I think Pete refers to them as "dumb moves" or something like that on his web site.

I have tried to convince some of my friends to start a hybrid Z project with little success emo.gif so that's why I'm here almost every day checking for new info. Who knows, maybe someday some of us "Georgia Boys" can hook up like some of those "Cali hybrids" do :D Thanks.

By the way here's my email address: flatfoot47@hotmail.com

Guest Anonymous

GeorgiaZ, I live in Conyers and I have been doing business with Keith since 1986 when he worked for Cuz Wilson at Cuzco Automotive Paints. He's got his own business now called AIC (Automotive Industrial Coatings) here in Conyers and one in Millegeville his newest and second store.

A really knowledgeable and honest guy. He's always been straight up with me, you know telling me not to spend my money on brand X because brand Y would do the same job for less money. His wife Holly is a sweetheart too. She spends most of her time at the Conyers store.

Georgiaflash, it probably would be worth the trip to come to Conyers and deal with Keith, I will vouch for him that he will not steer you wrong. The Panoz paint dept. guys drive all the way from Brazelton to buy from Keith and Holly. Call them and just talk with Keith (770) 922-5050 he'll help you out.

Thanks bowtie, I will definately call Keith and Holly tomorrow when I get a spare moment and talk to them about possibly shipping me some paint :D My everyday driving vehicle right now is my old 1971 Ford F-100, with 2by60 air conditioning and drum brakes all around! Gets real scary on the interstate especially when i have to hit the brakes hard, all four wheels seem to want to go in thier own direction. Lol :D I go down to Forsyth every now and then for training at the GPSTC, isn't Conyers somewhere between Atlanta and Forsyth?