HybridZ

RB25 GT30 or GT35 W/ internal Wastegate

jakeoster

My stocker is leaking oil and it's time for a replacement. I was thinking of getting a Garret 30 or 35 and mate it with the stock exhaust manifold and plenum for now, which is not an optimum set up I know. Is an internal wastegate on these turbos an ok way to go? I've been looking at manifolds and all of them with external set ups that arnt total crap are WAY too expensive for me. My ultimate goal down the road is 400rwhp and I'm working toward that slowly. Would one of these turbos be able to produce that kind of power? I'm not expecting to run any more than 10psi when I bolt it on because I don't have aftermarket injectors and all that good stuff yet. I'm not too concerned with the slower spool up time. I've heard that external is the way to go but that kind of setup is too costly.

My stocker is leaking oil and it's time for a replacement. I was thinking of getting a Garret 30 or 35 and mate it with the stock exhaust manifold and plenum for now, which is not an optimum set up I know. Is an internal wastegate on these turbos an ok way to go? I've been looking at manifolds and all of them with external set ups that arnt total crap are WAY too expensive for me. My ultimate goal down the road is 400rwhp and I'm working toward that slowly. Would one of these turbos be able to produce that kind of power? I'm not expecting to run any more than 10psi when I bolt it on because I don't have aftermarket injectors and all that good stuff yet. I'm not too concerned with the slower spool up time. I've heard that external is the way to go but that kind of setup is too costly.

400HP go GT3071R or GT3076R with Internal

Id run a 3076r, we put one on my buddies RB S14 and it worked great with the rb25. Great response and the ability to support power down the line, it did a hair over 400whp at 17psi.

Stock bottom end?... also running internal or external wg?

Edited by 240Z_Master

I remember looking at your build, arnt you running a cast hks manifold with an external wastegate?

I am but on a stock turbo at the moment... I have to find a turbo similar in size that could produce that kind of HP... or change manifolds... or even get a manifold made by like Danstoy

Edited by 240Z_Master

My friends 3076r was running an external gate on stock bottom end, AEM EMS, Greddy, etc... You would need something other than the basic 4 bolt turbine housing to run internal but ATP sells almost any possible turbine housing you can think. I just think the 3076 is a nice match with RB motor, the 71's a nice high horse SR20 turbo. Also I would def go with a t3 flange, t25 is out of the question lol.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TP&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-005&Category_Code=

I'm currently running a 60-1 and I switched it over to internal gate and I have had no creep issues. I ported the wastegate passage in the turbine housing and it holds both 12 and 17 psi no prob. I just like the simplicity of an internal gate, way less plumbing!

Pic of cars together for fun lol

MM2.JPG

Edited by RS Speed

alright, well I appreciate the input from you guys. This is the first time Ive made a real big aftermarket purchase so I was a little anxious.

One last question hahaha,

It looks like JGY only sells them with the 5 bolt exhaust side, instead of the six bolt like the stock RB25 turbo. They say that they include some sort of flange or something for the dump pipe. Anybody come across a 5 bolt dump pipe that fits the [stock?] downpipe (Im running a McKinney one).

Like this: Click me