HybridZ

R200 location

steelman

I am in the process of swapping out the R200 for a Fotd Explorer center section and outside knuckles. As I was taking dimensions, I noticed that the centerline of the axles at the differential are forward of the centerline at the wheels on my 1978 280Z. Was there something in the wisdom of the builders that required this? My plans are to line them up. I will be using the shortened Explorer CV axles.

Thank you in advance.

Ralph

They should be aligned. The initial series 1 240's had the diff offset, but the 280 should have the diff output centerline and the stub shaft/axle centerline be the same. I would go this rout when you put in your IRS 8.8.

They might have used an R180 bar and redrilled it, the point being to get a lower PMOI and make the car change direction faster. You could install your 8.8 in the forward position so long as the CV's can handle the angle. If you look at a Porsche 911, they have the CVs at a pretty good angle and it causes no issues. With U-joints angularity is much more of a problem than with CVs.