HybridZ

conversion u joints

emeraldlion

So I'm venturing into an area I haven't dealt with much being ujoints driveshafts etc. Planning on bolting in mopar power and I was wondering if I can use the mopar driveshaft (shortened) and buy a ujoint that will attach to the datsun driveshaft flange that JTR sells to bolt up to the r200. Looked on summit and wasn't sure. Was hoping you guys might shed some insight.

Yes you can. Any driveshaft shop can do that, I took them a 3310 U-joint and the JTR flange. I used a Z28 drive shaft in my LT1/4L60E conversion. The shop also swapped out the old front yoke because it had a lot of miles on it.

Beautiful. Thanks Deja. This was the only hitch in the mopar swap that I hadn't figured out. The only one left is I'm not exactly sure where to clerance the tunnel because of different dimensions between a518 and 700r4 but that's just a matter of trial and error when dropping engine.

I can't help you on the Mopar tranny fitting. But I had to do a little beating on my 280Z to get the 4L60E in there. Its the same size as the 400R4. You will need to cut out the stock tranny mounting ears for sure.

Beautiful. Thanks Deja. This was the only hitch in the mopar swap that I hadn't figured out. The only one left is I'm not exactly sure where to clerance the tunnel because of different dimensions between a518 and 700r4 but that's just a matter of trial and error when dropping engine.

Yeah pretty much follow the jtr recommendations the engine is going to be a hair forward and the a518 is several inches longer so we'll see how it works out. I'll be using the JTR tranny crossmember and chevy tranny mounts because they actually fit the a518. So far I'm not seeing why more people haven't done this. I'm hoping I'm not in for some huge suprise hurdle when I start to drop the combo in

The Mopar is not something you see done on these cars a lot. There are just more conversion parts available for the Chevy swap. Performance Chevy parts are also more available and many times cheaper. Things like headers are something you can buy off the shelf, that might not be the case for Mopars. Be sure to post some updates and picts. What size engine are you going with?

I was hoping to go with the big block but after much consideration I think the small block will work better. start with a 360 block most likely and pair it to the a518. As far as I've read sanderson makes a block hugger header for the mopar as well. You're right the go fast parts may be cheaper for the chevy. But as for strictly the conversion this engine drops in and bolts onto the stock datsun towers. You can use the JTR crossmember and the chevy trans mount bolts to the a518. Using a mopar driveshaft from a518 car and the JTR r200 flange adapter, that only leaves the wiring. I may have to use aftermarket gauges but oh well.

Sounds like a plan. Hopefully the headers will clear the strut towers and the steering shaft. I replaced every wire in my car when I did the LT1 swap. 30 year old wiring is just never ending source of problems. I used a 94 Z28 as a donor car and used its wiring in my Z. Not to hard once you figure out what you don't need and adjust everything for length.

I was hoping to go with the big block but after much consideration I think the small block will work better. start with a 360 block most likely and pair it to the a518. As far as I've read sanderson makes a block hugger header for the mopar as well. You're right the go fast parts may be cheaper for the chevy. But as for strictly the conversion this engine drops in and bolts onto the stock datsun towers. You can use the JTR crossmember and the chevy trans mount bolts to the a518. Using a mopar driveshaft from a518 car and the JTR r200 flange adapter, that only leaves the wiring. I may have to use aftermarket gauges but oh well.