HybridZ

hair line repair

chaos

ok my 72 i just got has one....just one hair line crack in the dash(yay for me being second owner) but anywho i was wondering anyone know how i might be able to fix something like this and ill get a pix of it when i can its like crazy bananas with me lately, but its between the second and third pod near the center and its maybe about 2 inch long its just annoying to look at cuz how great the dash looks like then BAM there it is, its enough to make me cry almost hahaha so if anyone knows where or what thank you much for the info

already looked at that one and if you open the link its a guy that repaired the whole dash not a small one, his was busted in like three spots, and i dont know if its only me but why would i go threw something that big for something so small it wouldnt make sense to do

I was thinking of some small amount of black poxy and put it in the push it back together cuz it's like really small I just don't want it to get worse, it really don't bug me that much cuz I don't see it non stop I just was wondering what other peoples ideas are as well cuz it's good to get outside opinions and they might have a better way other then the one I'm thinking of

If the dash is cracking, it is due to the underlying foam drying out and splitting. You can do a quick patch job with some black epoxy if you want, but a couple good afternoons in the sun will probably get you right back to square one. Two-part urethane bumper repair resin is what I used, after drilling the edges of the cracks, trimming the edges to square, and filling the void with spray in insulation foam. You need to use something that will flex without cracking or causing a seam, or issues will likely creep right back in. If that sounds like a lot of work (and it is), then a dash cap (either plastic or fabric) is your answer.

Glueing the foam and pressing the edges back together will not work for long. The problem isn't the adhesive, it's trying to keep drying out and disintegrating 30+ year old foam from breaking at the joints. If you don't fill the negative space, you will have the problem returning in short order.

Edited by Grungedude42

Look up your local "FibreNew" franchise owner. The process of vinyl, leather and dash repair are well known and well supplied in the marketplace. The comments about this continuing to be an issue though are all too true. Once it starts to shrink to the point of cracking, its only a matter of time until the "next" one starts.

Jim