HybridZ

Transmission mount for a bwt-5 in a s-30 automatic

madkaw

Looking for ideas for a tranny mount bracket for a bwt-5 that has been installed in a 71 that originally had a automatic trans. My chassis is set-up for the mount bracket that bolts vertically into the chassis. Right now I have reworked the original rubber mount that seats on the bracket to adjust for the offset. I also oblonged the mounting holes on the bracket. The problem that I might have incurred is damaging the integrity of the rubber mount by welding and cutting on it. I tried to be careful and took my time welding and keeping the heat from building around the rubber, but the mount seems to be too loose.

So is there a better alternative? I have searched and searched, but most applications I have seen were for the horizontal type mount. I saw one that utilized a urethane type mount that would be great, but again the bracket was for a horizontal mount. I think the offset needs to be greater for us guys that started out with an automatic.

The pictures show what i have now. To remedy the offset I moved the ears of the mount so that the mount would center the bracket. I also had to notch the mount so it would slide foward on the tranny to center.

post-1083-010960400 1281367368_thumb.jpg

post-1083-071214700 1281367396_thumb.jpg

Why not do something similar to what I did for my 240SX transmission swap, but with the right offset for the BW box...

transmountmodjpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

IMG_2173JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

I made a simple jig out of an aluminum bar. You could do something just as easy for your style of mount.

IMG_2170JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

For the complete 240SX transmission swap guide, click this picture...

tn_small_DSC04475JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Nigel,

thanks for the response, but that involves using the horizontal mount and mine is the vertical. It might come down to fabbing brackets that I hang the horizontal bracket from my vertical based chassis so I can use this type mount, but I was hoping for less fabbing requirements. Nice work though!

I have the vertical mount like you. I just took a pair of angle iron brackets  and drilled some holes so that they extend backward a little bit and I then bolted the bracket to that. I'm sure there are nicer or better ways of doing it, but my car has seen about a year of DD service with that trans and no issues. 

yes bob that might be the easiest solution since I do have one of the horizontal cradle types somewhere. I guess I will go back to the fab shop and set it up for a urethane mount and make the angle brackets to suspend from the verticle mount so I can use the other type mount.

Bob,

I reread your post and I could just move back the bracket i have now guess. At this point I will have to get another bushing since I altered mine. Anyone see a problem(since I will be fabbing anyway) to use a urethane type bushing(similiar to the type on a RT mount) or will this be to stiff compared to the stock and harm the motor mounts. I believe the bracket i have now(horizontal) has good rubber bushings to isolate noise. Somewhere on this site someone has done this, but can't find the tread to see how's it's working for him.