HybridZ

Sufacer?

deMideon

I've been reading the great posts, Thanks! I am planning on painting my car soon ... in the garage of

course. I read RacerX's info about the PPG DP40 primer.. sounds good.. now what does surfacer

do? I've never heard of it before. Also I read about using a sealer.. is there a good sealer or

are they all about the same?

Surfacer, is a build up primer. The idea is to spray multiple layers of surfacer, then block sand it off. This helps to "straighten" the body for a smooth looking paint job. Sealer is a must also, it eliminates bleed through, and any differences between the primer , and finish coat.It also water proofs the primer. Always buy your entire paint system from the same company, either PPG, or Dupont, etc..

Your last comment confused me. Go over it with DP48 and then go over it again?

I didn't know the DP40s were still available, those are the ones with chrome in them aren't they?

I did, DP90 black over bare metal, K36 high solids primer, block sand, DP90 black, and then dark metallic blue. I put the second layer of DP90 on to give the blue a darker appearance.

Don't think it's really necessary unless you're worried about adhesion between different layers of paint or unless you want a single color under your top color coat.

Owen

• 4 years later...

RacerX, I know this is an old thread, but I would like to pick your brain a little.

I recently aquired quite a bit of the old DP40, 401 catalyst, several gallons of Durethane with the needed DU5 and DU6 activator.

How much experience do you have with spraying Durethane? and are there any special tricks or techniques(other than a fresh air supply)to spraying it with metalics? I`m thinking of painting the car silver since I have enough to do a repaint later.(if the car were to be damaged)

I`ve search all over the net for info on Durethane, but only find passing references on aviation web sites. I realize this paint was designed for aerospace and marine applications, but I was hoping to find a little more info than that.

Thanks,Denny

After reading your earlier post I checked the label and did see that the DP does have lead in it. That`s not as much of a concern to me as spraying the Durathane.

I have built a paint booth in the back of my shop, and it does have controled heat and AC. My uncle sells industrial safety equipement, and is hooking me up with a fresh air supply,complete with the mask, suit,and compressor.

BTW, I also aquired 8 gallons of the old imron and 11 qts of the 192s activator that was discontinued. As well as several gallons of the industrial imron.

I`m going to see a guy in the morning that used to paint alot with durathane to see if he`s interested in shooting the car for me. From what I`ve been told, it is critical to follow the mix ratio to the letter if you want it to flow and cure properly.

Denny

I plan to use the imron on farm equipement and several semi trailers that I`m using as storage units. Although I`ve heard that the 192s activator is going for 100.00qt, which tempts me to sell it.

Most of the Durethane will be used for simliliar purposes, but the silver looks too nice to spray a cultivator or disc. I also plan to use some of the industrial imron to paint the engine bay. much of the DP 40 will be traded off as partial labor to the guys that are helping me do the body work on the car.

For what I`ve got in the whole lot, I couldn`t have bought enough primer to put three coats on my Z.