HybridZ

Rotisserie questions

Guest jdllaugh

Guest jdllaugh

I'm planning to build a rotisserie for my '72 240z project. I've looked at the various rotisserie examples discussed in the forum. Lot of nice possibilities.

Couple of questions remain:

Where is the best place to mount the rotisserie to the front of a 240z? The bumper mounting holes seem a little flimsy. I'm leaning toward using the tow-hook holes on the bottom of the frame rails, and maybe extending the bar to include the swaybar mounting points. Only problem I see there is it's pretty far from the pivot point, which could yield a lot of bad leverage.

Where is the best pivot point for a 240? Both in relation to the rear bumper mounting points and the bottom of the front frame rail? I've seen six inches mentioned above the rear bumper mount. Is that pretty close? smile.gif

I would use the bumper mounting points as they are higher up and closer to the cars centerline. I've got mine a little off center and it gets heavy in one spot when your rotating it. The 240 shell is very light, guessing somewhere in the 300 to 400 pound range, and the bumper mounts should hold this no problem. I promised Terry, blueovalz, that I would weigh my shell on the rotisserie but haven't done that yet, life keeps getting in the way.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, the shell is pretty light for sure, when I did my engine swap, I could pick up the front of the car with the engine and tranny out and wheels on several inches off the front jack stands, I ain't hulk hogan, so I know it doesn't weigh very much. 300-400 pounds is probably pretty close, pretty easy to squat lift it, but over my head might have been harder... tongue.gif

Regards,

Lone

James

I am presently puting the finishing touches on the first part of a featured restoration project being done by Paul Henley of England. The first part will present photo documentation of a rotisserie stand setup that he adapted from a set of stands originally used for a MG restoration project. You can review what he has provide me so far at Paul Henley's Rotisserie Stands Illustrated page

Jeff

I'd be interested to have a few photos of your rotisserie stand design to add to my ZPARTS.COM website for others to review if you have them. Please contact me at eric@zparts.com

===SLEEK Z====

Guest gprix1

I have a silly question. What is the best way to get the car high enough (looks like about 4') to bolt it to the rotisserie? eek2.gif I suppose I would work it up with my floor jack, large blocks of wood and jack stands but I is there a better way?

That's the way I did it. It's pretty dangerous. I also used my engine hoist on one end, but that makes it rock side to side some. Be careful, and put stuff (tires, tree trunk pieces, etc.) under it as you're doing it so if it falls, it won't go all the way to the cement floor. Of course, stay out of the way and have someone there to help if you get in trouble.

Guest jdllaugh

A couple of people have mentioned just having friends come over and physically pick up the car body and mount it to the rotisserie. It doesn't weigh a whole lot stripped.

I have a big floor jack and with a couple extra blocks of wood was able to get the car "pivot point" to about 40" high, which should give plenty of room to spin.

I'm guessing/hoping that the balance/pivot point is about six inches above the rear bumper mounts.

Eric,

I sent you what pics I have, although very poor quality. I built the rotisserie using these plans

James,

I believe you are correct on the pivot points. Mine gets very heavy at one point when I'm rotating it. Be careful mounting it, I did mine by myself and almost dropped it. I had the front mounted and was lifting the rear in place using my floor jack. When I slid the rear pivot point in place it forced the front pivot point apart and the entire car was balancing on the floor jack :eek: . I was able to catch it and shove a couple of jack stands under it. So when you get that first pivot point together make sure and lock it down bonk.gif