HybridZ

Terry O's Zcar

RacerX

Guys are soooo easy. I wished that's all it took to get my wife orgasmic. Instead, I've got to work harder on her than I do on my car. Seriously, no, I've not made any molds of it. Mostly because it's all tied together. The quarters need the doors to mate up with it, and I built it to be disassembled quickly, which does not lend itself well to folks with full interiors (probably 80% if potential customers). Plus the front wheel openings are centered around a wheel base that's over 1" longer than stock. It never dawned on me that anybody would want copies of it when I built it, but foresight is everything. That's how fortunes are made, and why my 401K in looking pretty sorry right now.

Man Terry u are hte funniest man!!! twak.gif I got a question 4 ya than!!! I want to build a set of California Z stlyed 1/4's or a back half section. The molded over headlight thang' went easy so how hard do ya think it will be??? Lookin to have vertical vents similar to the ferarri's with about a 2" wider 1/4. Whaddya think.........or should I buy the cal. Z and stick to fixin' shoes and leather work??? malebitchslap.gif

Guest Anonymous

RacerX you can get the bodykit like Terry's from John Washington. The kit is basically a GT2 set, Terry's is a little more advanced than John's. I believe that John's kit goes for about $1900.

For the tenderfoots who want to try fiberglass fabricating, an option which I used on my hood, is to purchase a part that is already made of fiberglass, and then modify the part to your choosing. I started with an already made fiberglass hood, then fabricated the airbox, moved the power bulge rearward, filled in the area where the bulge was cut out, and then detailed it. This was much easier than the ground up build that I had to do on the other parts. So find a part or kit that closely resembles your idea of your perfect Z, then purchase and modify those parts. Fiberglass parts are a breeze to modify, compared to doing the same with steel parts.

quote:

Originally posted by Les Heath:

RacerX you can get the bodykit like Terry's from John Washington. The kit is basically a GT2 set, Terry's is a little more advanced than John's. I believe that John's kit goes for about $1900.

Les, not to take anything away from John Washington, Terry's car is in a whole different league. I have real, close-up photographs of Terry's car (including the original 1983(?) kit car mini-article about it), and I can tell you that it has features, scoops, bends, and styling that John Washington's kits do not have. Still, I love John's kits and will probably buy one of his kits if I fail at producing my own icon_biggrin.gif ---this is just an FYI/IMO--don't mean to offend anyone. icon_smile.gif

Davy

Yea, I agree with Terry and Davey on this one. When I had the front fiberglass clip, it was really a piece of cake to knock down and mount the fender flare on...Think I had about two hours in it. However, there is an art to working with BONDO, as you have to watch the ratio of the hardener... Johns kit is a nice place to start if you want to build from it, but don't expect to buy that kit and have it look like Terry's setup out of the box... No way, no how unless you want to put in the 15+ years at tweeking and fabing it up... Terry is in a class all his own with this one!

Mike icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

Sorry guys, I wasn't implying that you could buy a kit that was exactly like Terry's. I was simply stating that if RacerX wanted a kit SIMILAR to Terry's this would be the best place to start looking. Terry I was in no way implying that you could buy a $1900 kit and install it and have it look like yours, as I am a Sheetmetal Fabricator by trade and I know there are TONS of hours put into making a creation as gorgeous as yours. I'll try to be a little more explicit next time.

Les,

Happy New Year! Yes, John's kit is a wide-body SIMILAR to Terry's--you are correct in that respect. I probably read your post incorrectly. John's kits are pretty cool and, just as Mike stated, they are an excellent building foundation for a 'dream Z'. icon_smile.gif

Davy

...the foot note here is that Les and I'll be doing some fabing of some Fiberglass and we may be able to come up with something VERY close to a Terry Oxendale original...in our dreams!!!

Les will be making some cool fiberglass stuff though!

Mike icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

I don't know about Terry's body kit but I do have the rear flares for the early GTU type cars and with Mike's G-nose I will almost have that whole kit. Be forewarned about these flares, they require a 12" wide wheel or a 10" with some non existant backspacing. Any takers?

• 4 months later...
Guest Anonymous

alright not to sound ignorant but who is John washington? where can I see some of his kits? 1900 bucks for a wide body kit? 2fuqn sweet

I had to manhandle some Z doors last weekend and was shocked at the weight. 100lb savings sounds high, especially if we are looking at a 240Z but it would still be a big number.

I am also interested but would like to retain the window crank and door latch mechanisms.

Z Car Kit Cars

I think John Washington sold the biz and moved on, but he developed the Velo Rossa and others. And had the "Origin" convertible biz for a while whe Origin Designs closed.

On another topic: I have an older "Origin Designs" catalog that shows complete fiberglass doors that bolt on and swing like stock steel doors, but drop a hundred pounds. The latest info from Velo Rossa / Reaction Research didn't mention the doors...... Anybody know who makes them now?

Guest 400 ci 280z

my doors for the 280 are pretty heavy belive me. mine are all banged up and need new ones so if i can get fiberglass ones and save some weight i will get them.