HybridZ

Basic EMS wiring questions

rossman

I have a few basic questions about the Wolf V500 install I am planning. I am a mechanical kind of guy and have not done this before so please be nice if I say something stupid :).

My setup includes a Wolf V500, J&S Interceptor (not Vampire as my build page says), LS1 coils, Ford VR CAS, 280ZXT distributor (CAS synch only), low impedance injectors, Aeromotive fuel controller and all the other typical FI sensors. You can see my build page in my signature for more details on my setup.

1) Should I put a connector between Wolf and J&S Interceptor or just splice and solder the wires together? I realize that a connector will be more convenient but I am worried about resistance in the connection.

2) What are the pitfalls of wiring up the sensors directly to the wiring harness with no intermediate connectors? Right now I am planning to run the wires from the EMS connector thru the firewall and directly to the fuel injectors/ignition coils.

3) Where can I buy a quality shielded wire for the variable reluctance sensor?

4) Is there any problem running the VR wire (or any other sensor wire) and power wires thru the same firewall pass-through hole?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Ross

• Administrators
1) Should I put a connector between Wolf and J&S Interceptor or just splice and solder the wires together? I realize that a connector will be more convenient but I am worried about resistance in the connection.

Minimizing connectors is generally considered good, but keep in mind those channels are logic level, current is minimal, and runs are generally short. However, resistance isn't the bigger concern...

Soldering is controversial. Disavowed in aviation, and for good reason. Subjecting solder to vibrations will fail, eventually. *IF* you're going to solder in an automotive environment, be sure to provide ample support/strain relief. That's the minimum in my opinion.

2) What are the pitfalls of wiring up the sensors directly to the wiring harness with no intermediate connectors?

Convenience and convenience.

DIY AutoTune. Not so much shielded wire, but they sell a robust shielding.

4) Is there any problem running the VR wire (or any other sensor wire) and power wires thru the same firewall pass-through hole?

If the VR is properly shielded, you shouldn't encounter any issues. It's ultimately up to you. How far do you want to take it? Are we talking F22's or Datsuns (with proportional budgets and risks)?

Generally... the lower the voltage and longer the wire, the more 'inducible' it is.

Soldering is controversial. Disavowed in aviation, and for good reason. Subjecting solder to vibrations will fail, eventually. *IF* you're going to solder in an automotive environment, be sure to provide ample support/strain relief. That's the minimum in my opinion.

I've read a little about it. The guy who wrote Automotive Wiring and Electrical Systems (Workbench Series) swears up and down that he has been soldering wires for 20 years and hasn't had a failure. On the other hand, the EE's at my work don't solder wiring for the exact same reason you stated. I like soldering because it's compact but I have a decent crimper so I may use butt connectors instead of soldering.

DIY AutoTune. Not so much shielded wire, but they sell a robust shielding.

I found this shielded wire on DIYAutotune.com. It looks like it is exactly what I need.

How far do you want to take it? Are we talking F22's or Datsuns (with proportional budgets and risks)?

I work in the Space business and tend to sweat the details a bit too much sometimes. Thanks for the reality check.

J&S Interceptor (not Vampire as my build page says), LS1 coils

I've been waiting for J&S to come up with a system that supports the LS1 coils. The Vampire requires dumb coils. Is the Interceptor a new unit?

I would say a connector. Convenience is key. You will appreciate it later. As far as soldering goes, I was concerned as well but opted for soldering as it is a smaller connection and allows for a cleaner installation.

2) What are the pitfalls of wiring up the sensors directly to the wiring harness with no intermediate connectors? Right now I am planning to run the wires from the EMS connector thru the firewall and directly to the fuel injectors/ignition coils.

As Ron said, convenience and convenience. I have connectors on my Wolf setup and am installing even more now that I am doing a complete rewire of the dash and front light harnesses. I've had no issues at all with my connectors. I use primarily Molex and bullet connectors.

I made my own. I bought some 3-wire cabling from a local industrial electrical supply store as well as shielding sheath and heat shrink. I only used the shielded cable for the CAS connection.

I have not had any issues with my setup doing exactly this.

Is the Interceptor a new unit?

I think they have offered it for less than a year. As the name implies it intercepts the coil signal and modifies it as necessary, kinda like a piggy a back ECU. They also built in a headphone jack to listen for knock.

• Administrators

I've been waiting for J&S to come up with a system that supports the LS1 coils. The Vampire requires dumb coils. Is the Interceptor a new unit?

J&S has worked with LS1 coils for years... probably before LS1 coils were even available :wink: John will be happy to build you a Safeguard without ignitors. Give him a ring. Tell him what you're doing and he'll give you what you need.

Edit- Now that I think about it, I recall us talking about this. It wasn't an issue of compatibility, it was that he didn't have a 6 channel system at the time.