HybridZ

Name that part!

xonix_digital

Hey guys,

I picked up a rear sway bar on ebay that had little to no information available online for it.

It appears to be a Nismo Rear Sway Bar part#55611-E4622 a 25mm (1") RSB, where the only information I could find on it was from ClassicZCar.com and a post by "26th-Z"

Quoted from post:

"Datsun lists a rear stabilizer bar starting 8/73 - 55611-E8100 and starting 9/74 - 55611-N3701 but they don't say what size the bar is.

Another part search reveals: (to 8/74)

55611-E4200 - 19mm

55611-E4621 - 21mm

55611-E4622 - 25mm

Also listed is the mounting kit - 99996-E4010 and the end links 99996-E4020

The bars list for $150 each, and each installation kit lists for $30

Bushings are listed also: 54613-66000 - $194 ea. 2 req'd

Courtesy Parts - Texas http://www.courtesyparts.com/"

After picking the part up on ebay and going to test fit, it appears that the part doesn't fit properly. I very well might not be doing it right but take a look and tell me what you think.

1973 240z:

The part:

IMG_5450.JPG

IMG_5451.JPG

IMG_5453.JPG

Around the Diff perfectly:

IMG_5465.JPG

Pass Side:

IMG_5462.JPG

IMG_5460.JPG

Driver side:

IMG_5459.JPG

IMG_5458.JPG

As you can see the mounting points over reach what I believe to be the mounting holes on my rear LCAs.

Does anyone have any info on this part? Courtesy parts appears to have no record of this as I am sure it was discontinued a long time ago.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Edited by xonix_digital

Uh, yeah, dude you're putting it on BACKWARDS!

It goes (as the exact same bar -4622) fits on MY 1973 240Z: in the stock swaybar mounts under the driver's and passengers seats!

You are mounting it as an AFTERMARKET bar goes on an early 70's US Specification 240Z without the factory mounts. This bar mounts exactly the same way as a 260-280Z Bar fits.

The bar crosses under the differential snout and driveshaft flange area--you should still be able to get your driveshaft in and out by popping it hard enough and the bar springing to the rear (or use a large prybar to let the driveshaft slip through.

It does not cross behind the differential, it crosses IN FRONT of it!

Your 73 should have the mounts for the bar already there (part number 28 in Geezer's second photo), all you need to do is get the proper diameter 22 (they are available in Urethane from MSA for the 25mm bar, at least they were) and a 21. The #21 you can get off any 260 or 280Z. My chassis number was 156466, so if your 73 is around that production date, the mount for it should be there!

I had a good laugh, though. Thanks!

BTW, "NISMO" does not necessarily mean 'AFTERMARKET'---those Nissan Part Numbers are for S30 Chassis outside the USA. Much of their offerings back then (and even today) are simply offerings of STOCK parts offered on STOCK vehicles outside the North American Market.

That bar came stock on a 1977 S31 Fairlady Z in Japan. I know, that's where I got mine!