HybridZ

My 2010 Project

So I'm gonna keep this short and simple since I don't know alot of terms yet as to I'm am still learning, but getting alot down so far.

Basically my project is to rebuild and overhaul my father's '78 Datsun 280z thats been sitting in the back yard for years. Since I'm going to school for this, I've decided for this to be my project car. Basically I'm looking for to ripping apart the engine and transmission, getting the whole thing cleaned out with brand new or close to new parts, and up and running like it was when it first came out. This process will take a while, but the learning experience is gonna be fun...I just know it.

I will SLOWLY update at where I am at with this though. First step, tow it to my new house I'm currently living in.

Heres some pictures I took of it a while back:

picture008kr.jpg

picture009g.jpg

picture010q.jpg

picture011kwl.jpg

picture012xe.jpg

picture013jd.jpg

picture014hd.jpg

picture015jn.jpg

picture016gl.jpg

picture126a.jpg

picture127d.jpg

picture128f.jpg

picture129i.jpg

picture130a.jpg

picture131g.jpg

picture132.jpg

picture133a.jpg

picture134w.jpg

picture135u.jpg

picture136xb.jpg

picture137d.jpg

- RemieGino14 -

Me and my buddies ripped the seats, took a bunch of stuff off, and are trying to get it ready to have the engine out. Unofrtunately...well I'll let the pictures tell you the story.

img00009201008251648.jpg

img00010201008251648.jpg

img00012201008251712.jpg

img00013201008251716.jpg

Btw, I didn't get a chance to take a picture of the driver side, but yes, there is a big hole in that area.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it.

img00011201008251711.jpg

We were also amused to find this, but couldn't figure out what it is, and what it does but some of my buddies say it looks like a air metering valve. Me being just a student, don't know much maybe some of you guys could shed a light if you can. It'd be great.

img00015201008252022.jpg

- RemieGino14 -

Edited by RemieGino14

That rust is not that bad I have seen a lot worse, also that "thingy" is the AFM or Air Flow Meter. I suggest you finish your class before you start anything major on your car or you study a lot about Z's because you will need the info down the road.

Oh I already finished Basic Engines, which is why I wanted to get into the engine are start tearing it down and seeing what I'm looking at. Yeah, I've been trying to research on this model, but I can't seem to find some specific information I would need, otherwise I would treat it like any other OHC straight 6 engine would be like. Taper, Out of Round that beast, just to put my studies into use. [:

- RemieGino14 -

So we were taking off the grill, the green bumper, and the radiator, didn't even know there was fluid in there. It was all...basically water....orange water. Tried taking off the water neck, actually it was all corroded. So I'm guessing I'm gonna need a new water neck. I'll take pictures when I actually get the dash out...which I'm currently having a problem with right now. Lol.

- RemieGino14 -

Sounds like water mixed with rust/corrosion. Not a good sign for the engine and radiator. Not to be discouraging but so far you've got two very big strikes. 1. Quite a bit of rust in areas that are a pain to fix, and 2. Quite of bit of work to the engine(not that bad because you can get pretty good engines on the board for reasonable prices). I hate window seal rust. I've used some metal based fillers in those areas but personally have never had much luck in getting them perfect enough to seal real well. IF you're up for a very big project though I say go for it, bring her back from near death.

Sounds like water mixed with rust/corrosion. Not a good sign for the engine and radiator. Not to be discouraging but so far you've got two very big strikes. 1. Quite a bit of rust in areas that are a pain to fix, and 2. Quite of bit of work to the engine(not that bad because you can get pretty good engines on the board for reasonable prices). I hate window seal rust. I've used some metal based fillers in those areas but personally have never had much luck in getting them perfect enough to seal real well. IF you're up for a very big project though I say go for it, bring her back from near death.

I'm actually heading to that type of plan, just gonna bring her back from the dead. I'll post up the pictures tomorrow of an update of this ferocious beast of just trying to strip it. Lol.

- RemieGino14 -

It looks like a great project car, and as with most projects it will come down to time/money/skill as to how well it will come out at the end. Since all three of those are usually not in good supply when you are a student be prepared for some frustrations over the course of the project.

In any event you will uncover just about everything any other car will throw at you, and there is a great amount of material on various websites to add to what you will be learning in school.

The only caution I would raise is to give the car a really good once over after you have it stripped. If it is too good or too bad you may not want to use it as a learning project. Some review on the internet will help you make the decision, and posting more pictures here will give you good feedback. Some typical areas to address are frame rails and floor pans. Search out pricing for parts and develop a plan for replacing those areas if needed, and I suspect they will be. If you can undertake those repairs you probably have a workable project car.

Good luck

I'm really having trouble deciding what to do first.

If I work on the body, I can restore the shell to a workable project car instead of worrying about looking for another shell. Downfall is that I lose time and don't get to the engine yet.

If I work on the engine, I can finally apply my skills on what I've learned within 3 weeks. Downfall is that, whats the point on working on a engine and no shell to put it in. Especially in my area if I were to look for any shell, there isn't gonna be any. Their either gonna be already working, or something else. Well, just waiting for Saturday for an engine stand and a cherry picker...if I'm able to borrow one or buy one.

- RemieGino14 -